conor
01-08-2005, 07:40 AM
HI tiler

i remember seeing this character a while ago in a little playable demo
love the look of the new version :)

tiler
01-08-2005, 03:20 PM
hi Conor

yeh that little collision demo i did last year..that was fun a lot of headaches but still fun

Lamont
01-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Post a wire please and the texture map :)

tiler
01-09-2005, 04:18 AM
i learnt alot with this guy about model prep for games, and theres still a whole lot more to learn...but its fun..practice practice practice and did i say practice:)

the main texture is WIP still playing with that, im toying with the idea of baking the illumination rather than painting it in

Lamont
01-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Ahhh, you did an auto map. Have you done UV mapping by hand? I bet you can get that down to a 512x512 map ;).

Fozz
01-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Even less then a 512 I'd say.

tiler
01-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Iím new to the world of UV mapping and havenít really delved too much into it.
But someone else has explained a few things to me, apparently Iím wasting a lot of UV space and should do things Manually

They gave a few pointers
I should be editing the image map to position things in a more compact way, even things like the ammo magazine, I could use the one image for both sides, then move the UV around

Any pointers or tips or even any tuts anywhere...would be appreciated:)

Lamont
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Take a look here. Everyone shows how they laid out the UV's: CG CHat Gameart boards (http://www.cgchat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=58)

tiler
01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
nice to see how other ppl are doing it..thanks:)

A.Russell
01-10-2005, 04:45 AM
Nice model. I like cartoony stuff. How's your rigging and animation?

tiler
01-10-2005, 12:28 PM
yep i love cartoony stuff

rigging and animation is the bit i like best

this might give you an idea of my ingame anims,
its just a old collision demo i did while trying to learn coding and learn more about model prep for games, you can run around using curser keys and jump using left/ctrl also number keys to view the anims, notice the jump was broken down into seperate anims , i found easier to use in code this way, it helped with the timing

its the very old version of the model above and the platform gfx were just for collision purposes..but its fun, its worth a quick look

http://www.btinternet.com/~coloured.pixels/kid_1.04.zip

screen shot

wingwalker
01-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Tiler

Model looks great, nice texturing.

Im just getting into the whole gaming thing and have bought a copy of UT2004 at xmas, gonna try doing some mods with that. What software are you using to create your games in? what engine are you using? do you have any tips for getting started with all this?

I have no interest in hijacking your thread, if you would prefer me to open a new thread and discuss it there i would be glad to...have loads of questions!

Where abouts are you in manchester ...im a (non-skally) Salford boy!

tiler
01-10-2005, 06:12 PM
HI there wingwalker

salford..ummm im in AShton, near Denton

ok as far as mods go im of no use to you at all
i just used Blitz, just so i could learn fast about how to get models in code and use them, i would imagine the same principles are used whatever engine you use

you still have to learn how to get a model into the engine, how to extract the anim cycles and use those in code , the program flow (code logic), collisions..and so on

like i said i dont know much about mods, blitz is a basic/c type language that does have a simple 3d engine..but thats a far as my coding goes a bit of c and a lot of basic...i should really have a good look at getting into mods

if i were starting out modding then first place i would start is how to get a model into UT..do you need a converter , then how to extract the anim cycles

try and post asking for help..sure someone will , i would be interested in it myself :)

soz not much help really:(

conor
01-11-2005, 09:13 AM
tiler have you used Bmax yet

from the brief

Modular design
Function pointers
Fully dynamic arrays
Inheritance and polymorphism
'By reference' function parameters
Byte, Short, Int, Long, Float and Double numeric data types
Array and string slicing
Flexible 'collection' system for dealing with linked lists etc
Low level pointer handling
UTF16 strings
The ability to 'Incbin' binary data and access it as easily as if it were a regular file
External language support for interfacing with C/C++/ObjectiveC or assembly code

http://blitzbasic.com/Products/blitzmax.php

tiler
01-11-2005, 02:03 PM
ive heard about it..but only the mac version is available at the moment
and theres no 3d module yet, you have to write your own, but they are going to release one

A.Russell
01-11-2005, 11:52 PM
I tried your demo. Your animation is very good. Did you keyframe that? I like your camera. I made a similar one for another engine, though it doesn't work as smoothly as yours. Your level looks nice, too.

tiler
01-12-2005, 12:42 AM
yep it keyframes. then converted with a free .LWS to .B3D converter
then you just extract the anim cycles

eg:
run=extractanimsequence(mesh#,startframe#,endframe #)
animate mesh#,run,speed#,tween#
quick and easy stuff

blitz isnt really an engine, its just a basic game programing language
i should really take a look at UT and see how that handles LWS, could interesting
..but i really dont want to learn code i just wana play about with gfx

i wish i could take credit for the camera..but i ripped it of one of the demo progs and simply increased the delay so you get to see the model from the side and front.

its not that smooth did you notice when you land from a jump theres a slight flash of the character, i think theres some anim cycle conflict going on

the gfx were just quick throw togethers..but i want something like that
it was a lot of headaches but a lot of fun :)