PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question.

jfoley37
01-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the board. Hopefully I will look back on this first post of mine (this one) and say, "what a fool!".

I am also new to LightWave.

So without further ado, my first question is (I guarantee there are more to come ;) ):

When I Extrude, I am in Polygon mode, I select a single polygon... and thats it. How do I actually extrude it. I clicked and dragged on it, clicked and then clicked and dragged again, clicked holding various buttons, etc...

What am I doing wrong?

Ok, let the laughing commence!
This LW newb appreciates your advice!

Thanks,

jfoley

jfoley37
01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
ok, I got it going.. I must have accidently hit another btn and been stuck on a different tool ever since. :(

lunarcamel
01-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Did you select the polygon then choose 'extrude' under the 'polygon' menu?

Edit: Hehe, good you figured it out. I remember going crazy a few times then realizing the shortcuts weren't working because Caps was on - duh :rolleyes:

jfoley37
01-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks lun...

another question.. when I extrude, it looks like the normals are always flipped backwards. Is there a way to prevent this?

If I bevel instead of extrude, the normals are correct...

jfoley37
01-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Can anyone suggest a good beginner tutorial?

lunarcamel
01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Well typically I would only use extrude on a flat shape. Otherwise I'd use bevel or better smooth shift.

Tons of tuts here: http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

And many people in this forum can recommend dvds etc for modeling.

jfoley37
01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Is there a universal keyboard shortcut that exits any tool and goes back to selection mode?

jfoley37
01-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Let me rephrase that.. whats the shortcut for selection mode?

toby
01-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Is there a universal keyboard shortcut that exits any tool and goes back to selection mode?

Yes, it's called the MANUAL!

Silkrooster
01-08-2005, 12:00 AM
When extruding go the opposite direction the normal of the poly is pointing. After you extrude you can hit the enter key or space bar to ok the extrusion, or the / key to cancel.
The selection modes at the bottom of the screen also display the shortcut keys as well as any other tool if it has a shortcut key attached to it. Also look in your Lightwave folder for a documentation folder, you should find a pdf file that shows the shortcut keys for both modeler and layout.
If you did not get a printed manual, you should find the manual in pdf form on your cd. It is also available on Newteks web site, just click on the link on the home page and it should tell you how to get it.
So good luck, have fun modeling and welcome aboard.
Silk