PDA

View Full Version : Convert LWO to ASE file format

Martin Adams
01-07-2005, 04:12 AM
Hey all,

I'm working on a project in Java and need to convert some models to the ASE file format.

What is the best way to go about doing this. I have tried to import some models into MilkShape 3D with limited success. I probably only picked models with sub-patches however.

Can anyone confirm the following:
1. Do I need to save my models as LWO 6.5 format to load into MilkShape 3D
2. Will texture mapping be retained during this import to MilkShape
3. Is the ASC file format the same as ASE file format but with a different extension in MilkShape.

Any help would be very much apprecited :)

FONGOOL
01-10-2005, 11:45 AM
If you have MAX you could export from LW to Max via the Kaydara Motionbuilder .fbx import/export plugins and then simply save out your .ase from Max.

There may be a more direct route than that, but that's the path I've used to get .ase's into the Unreal engine.

Fozz
01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Export .obj from LW and import in Max and then export .ase from Max is what I've been doing.
Need to download a free OBJ importer for Max though, but then it works like a charm.
Parts/Selection Sets and the UVmap is retained this way at least.

Edwin SI75
01-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Using MAX as a file-converter is quite expensive :-)
You could use Unwrap3d (www.unwrap3d.com), they have an ASE exporter.
Works fine with me (and my engine) but i haven't tested it in every possible way ofcourse.

ASC and ASE are different formats.

CrysAk
07-08-2005, 09:41 AM
ive found unwrap 3d to have smoothing issues when exporting to .ase :( and idd max is expensive to use just as an exporter

any one know any other routes???

(there is a model converter program floating around, however this doesnt include the UV maps)

Martin Adams
07-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Just to give you an update of my project. I decided to read raw LW 8 object files directly into Java and interpret these into Java3D objects. It worked really well and I managed to get basic materials and UV texturing to work (expect full texture wrapping around a sphere for example).

Those SDK pages were a life saver :). I was also able to keep the layer information and use that to control seperate objects in one file which was great when the simulation needed ot act upon parts of the object.

And creating a sky box with a baked texture also worked to give a backdrop of the environment which the Java 3D camera can pan around.

Thanks for your advice though.