PDA

View Full Version : VT4, SP1 Freezes

GrayingMatter
01-07-2005, 01:11 AM
I think I have found out what causes VT4 to freeze on me. When I am dragging a still from the Filebin (I'm using png's) to the Timeline the program will occasionally become nonresponsive.

I'm using a lot of stills in the show - over 100 of them. Some of them are big - over 2000 pixels wide - others are video res. And it isn't always the big ones that cause the freeze. As a matter of fact, the freeze may only happen one time in ten when I'm dragging images into the Timeline.

I have three gigs of RAM, so I don't think that is the problem.

Are png's the preferred flavor of the month?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dick

Ivan
01-07-2005, 09:08 AM
PNGs should work fine. A suggestion by someone in the User Group that was having a freezing problem was to be sure the Positioning panel in Control Tree was closed. He said his machine was locking up and found that it happened when the Positioning panel was open.

I have not experienced this issue and have not seen it on his machine or any other but it's worth a try.

You could also try to down size some of the PNGs that are so large if you don't need that extra resolution.

Ivan

ted
01-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Not to say it's SP1's problem for sure.
But, I've been getting this also. It only happens when dragging a file to the timeline and happens about the time I release the mouse.
I've had it happen on .png's and .rtv's.
I haven't found a comon reason.
I usually close the control panel when not needed, but I'll keep an eye on that factor.
It happens about 2-3 times per 8 hour day.

Ivan
01-07-2005, 10:32 AM
The user I mentioned is running VT3. I have SP1 and except that I can't get the number of layers that I did with VT3, it has been very reliable.

Ivan

GrayingMatter
01-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Ted, I guess it's good to hear that someone else is having this problem and I'm not crazier than I already was.

I'll check on the Control Panel voodoo. Though now that I think about it, I never have the Control Panel open when I am dragging onto the Timeline because I have the Filebin open instead.

Is anyone from NewTek there?

Dick

edmellnik
01-07-2005, 02:52 PM
So I have put VT4 on the system and it freezes up and needs reboot often.
I am on a win2000 system.

It has frozen in CG, it has frozen on the time line.
so if Newtek does not plan on fixing this fast its back to VT3. until they
get it together.

ed

SBowie
01-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Ed, did you make any other changes to the system at the same time - OS updates, graphics card drivers, that sort of thing?

edmellnik
01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
No All we did is uninstall VT3 and clean the registry up (which should happen when you uninstall if Newtek were on top of it).

We made no other changes in hardware or software.
From the look of the forum there are a lot of us having the same problems.

ed

Jim Capillo
01-07-2005, 06:22 PM
So I have put VT4 on the system and it freezes up and needs reboot often.
I am on a win2000 system.

It has frozen in CG, it has frozen on the time line.
so if Newtek does not plan on fixing this fast its back to VT3. until they
get it together.

ed

Processors? Video Card?

Very solid here on XP Pro. Maybe the 2000 OS ?

SBowie
01-07-2005, 06:31 PM
From the look of the forum there are a lot of us having the same problems.I really haven't seen any local instances of this, nor any groundswell of serious issues with VT[4] here in recent days either, Ed. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. (Most of the problems I've seen relate to either typical VT newbie issues -- Prefs config issues and the like.)

Your issues are a little different, which is why I was asking about other changes. Crashes and freezing have historically often been the result of graphics card driver problems. Transient sluggish behavior when adding more stills (especially large ones) to a graphics intensive project may be something else entirely.

ScorpioProd
01-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, I don't think you can blame it on Windows 2000.

I run Windows 2000 SP4 and VT[4]SP1 is running solid here.

jkdawg
01-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I had this problem with dragging tga's from the filebin. Usually they are fine, but occassionally they lock up. If the program crashes, the module name is custommemory.dll

XP Pro SP1
VT4 SP1

GrayingMatter
01-07-2005, 11:46 PM
O.K. Steve, I have a GeForce FX 5500 and am using driver 6.6.9.3. I'm not using the nView Desktop Manager, but the nView Display mode is set to Dualview. Does all this sound fine?

Dick

SBowie
01-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Dick, that sounds fine (though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try horizontal span mode to see if it makes any difference on this issue.)

Typically, when you add the offending still does the VT totally lock up, or does it churn away for a bit, seemingly frozen, before continuing?

Ivan
01-08-2005, 11:31 AM
I just saw this on a machine that I was working on last night. I put a TGA file in story board and when I went to place a second in VT4 SP1 just went into hour glass mode. Had to do a Ctrl VT to quit and start over. Dropped the two TGAs in again and had no trouble. The offending TGAs were created with VT4 SP1 through the capture panel. The computer is running WXP SP1 on a single monitor.

Ivan

Scott Bates
01-08-2005, 11:54 AM
FWIW, I've been working on a 150+ image photo montage since early this morning and have not had VT[4] SP1 lock up on me, yet. Maybe I'm just lucky, or so far have avoided the gremlin some of you are facing.... All the images are 720x486 PNGs without motion if that makes a difference.

radams
01-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi All,

I just wanted to point out a common thread of which I too have had problems...

It is with "drag and drop"...this seems to be an intermitent issue thou but one serious enough to NOT drag and drop for LIVE shows...VT doesn't hang when you go thru the requestors...but when your drag and drop especially fast or not completely...VT will freeze.. this has been since VT2...and one that still exists with VT4 SP1...If you select all of the files you want and just load them say into a DDR no problem...but if you drag and drop into the DDR...bang...lock up or crash...I've seen this happen on stills and clips...

Cheers,

ted
01-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Again, I'm not saying it "IS" the software, (I've seen too many oddities from unknown issues in my day),
But, it is always as I drop a file on the timeline in TEd.
Of course I do that countless times per session. :p

I've also seen countless times where a specific group of people are effected due to some mysterious common element. So keep giving us info so we and NewTek can follow. We might just find the culprit.
Specifics also need to be forwarded to NewTek directly.

Anyways, I've just done a complete un-re-install and so far it's working. Monday’s session will be a better test.

I'm on XP SP2.

GrayingMatter
01-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Steve,

I'll try Horizontal mode.

When this happens, VT4 just freezes, no grinding of hard drives. If I look at Task Manager, VT4 may be taking up 4% of the CPU time - and then only occassionally. I have tried to wait it out, but nowadays, I get fairly impatient after about 30 seconds. I have waited for a couple of minutes before with no luck. And as others are reporting, after I CTRL-V-T out and then open VT4 up again, the offending still drags right into the Timeline with a "don't blame me" look in its eyes.

What is your favorite VT4 still format - TGA. PNG, or what?

Thanks,

Dick

GrayingMatter
01-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Ted,

I agree with your oddities assessment. Maybe we just have encountered some bad juju. I think it might be time to get out the tchotchkes and dust off the book of incantations.

Dick

JReble
01-09-2005, 06:03 AM
He-he- hee- hee ....he said tchotchkes. :p

ted
01-09-2005, 10:11 PM
grayingmatter, I've heard and confirmed, .png's to be TEd's favorite format.

GrayingMatter
01-10-2005, 02:05 AM
"grayingmatter, I've heard and confirmed, .png's to be TEd's favorite format."

Thanks, Ted. I thought that is what Andrew told me once. I just didn't know if the conventional wisdom had changed, especially since some of the content stills that came with VT4 are TGAs.

Anyway, I'm still having freezing problems dragging stills onto the Timeline. I was able to drag a whole series of them onto the Storyboard, but since I am working on a many layered project, that method isn't especially practical.

I'm calling Tech Support tomorrow to see if they have any insights.

Dick

ted
01-11-2005, 10:00 AM
As soon as I get this project out, I'm going to do the same.
I had 3 freezes yesterday after my re-install. All as I dropped an element on the timeline.
Twice when I was dragging .rtv's from the video drives and once when I was dragging a .png from a system drive.

radams
01-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

Would you try something....

Go thru those same projects but instead of drag and drop copy and paste and see if you get the same freezing...

That would be good to know if it has to do with drag and drop...

Also what graphic cards and drivers are you using...

Cheers,

GrayingMatter
01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I'll try Copy and Paste. I have a GeForce FX5500 wit 128 megs running driver 6.6.9.3.

Pete Draves
01-11-2005, 03:44 PM
copy past drag to time line move an rtv maybe even look at the screen and it may freeze
espicially if it has any resize in it auto ot manual
even though i have a vt4 my other machine still is a vt3
the life line through changes.
Pete

ted
01-11-2005, 06:40 PM
64mg NVidea.
I'm looking at buying another one though.

steveg
01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I want to add my name to the list of constant lockups. I have dual monitors with Nvidia GeForce 5600 dual video card. For some reason, I seem to have fewer lockups when I put Ted on my left hand screen than I do when it is on the right hand screen. All I know is I can't edit with the T4 SP1 locking up 2 or 3 times per hour. Going back to T4 Gold version is not acceptable either because I use the CG a lot and it locked the CG up every time I used backspace to make a change. NewTek, Paul, Please get this working quick. This is really major.