PDA

View Full Version : Select Loops

WhiteBoy
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
I've been searching the web for hours, but I haven't found a single reference to any similar problems. I'm still quite new to LightWave, so I'm probably just doing something really stupid, but please bear with me.

Anyway, I'm having difficulties with the Select Loop tool. I have included some images of a simple example scene to help illustrate the nature of my problem.

I start out with a cylinder, and select two adjacent points at the top. I then press the Select Loop button expecting to have all the points on the top selected, but to my frustration, nothing happens. However, it works when I select polygons.

The first attached image shows the two points selected. I could be wrong, but shouldn't the whole top ring of points be selected when I select the Select Loops tool? I am almost positive I have done it before without problems.

The second image shows the two selected polygons. The third image shows the result of the Select Loop tool after selecting the polygons, and it works perfectly fine. Why doesn't it work with points?

I didn't notice this until last night. So I downloaded the 8.0.1 update today expecting the problem to be fixed, but that didn't happen.

Please tell me I'm doing something completely moronic...

Thanks in advance for your replies!

colkai
01-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Very strange,
I use this all the time in point mode without any problems.
As you say, select one point, then another and hit "select loop" and it should grab the points. You dont have any 2-pt polys on that thing do you? if you select where a quad and 2-pt poly occupy the same space, I know it gets confused and wont work.

WhiteBoy
01-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Nope. No 2-point polys. And it's not just that cylinder shape that won't work either. It doesn't work with any shape.

Needless to say, this is incredibly frustrating...

mattclary
01-07-2005, 09:00 AM
How is Lightwave supposed to know which loop you want to follow?

WhiteBoy
01-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I see what you're getting at there. But I guess my illustration was just a bad example.

In the Getting Started Guide, I tried the Extender Plus exercise (I can post the exact page number when I get home). Basically, all you do is create a sphere, delete the top half of it, select a few adjacent points along the newly-created top edge, select the Select Loop tool, and then extrude the top row of points with the Extender Plus tool. It's simple enough, but even when doing this, I still can't get the Select Loop tool to work. I am doing exactly what the book does (there are even pictures to illustrate it), but the Select Loop tool simply won't do anything with points anymore.

I guess I could just use the Lasso tool the rest of my life.... :rolleyes:

mattclary
01-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I know I have selected points in a ring before, but not sure if it was the select loop tool. Does it matter if you select 3 or 4 points instead of 2?

WhiteBoy
01-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Anyway, yes, the exercise did use the Select Loop tool and it works fine for them. And I did try selecting various number of points as well with no result.

Does it work for you?

Johnnyx
01-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Basically, all you do is create a sphere, delete the top half of it, select a few adjacent points along the newly-created top edge, select the Select Loop tool, and then extrude the top row of points with the Extender Plus tool.:

...in this exercise, make sure when you delete half the sphere, you delete the POLY'S not the points.... then select loop (even on points) will work...

sure is odd!

mattclary
01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Does it work for you?

I'll have to test it when I get home.

colkai
01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
How is Lightwave supposed to know which loop you want to follow?

For a basic column like this, no matter how I select the 2 points, Lw will always correctly select the loop. Very odd indeed!

mattclary
01-08-2005, 09:33 AM
OK, I can repro your problem with a cylinder, however, if I make a cut in the cylinder, I can select loop on the points in the cut. I can aqlso select points in a loop on a sphere.

mattclary
01-08-2005, 09:37 AM
OK, it has something to do with being on a flat edge. If I make a sphere and delete the polys on top, the loop select still works. If I merge the polys, the loop select no longer works.

WhiteBoy
01-09-2005, 02:44 AM
I see now. All I had to do was delete the top poly of the cylinder there. That's interesting... :o

Well, all I can say is thanks, guys. I really appreciate your willingness to help a poor, naive little n00b such as myself. Your kind patience is noted. :)

bloontz
01-09-2005, 07:43 AM
I see now. All I had to do was delete the top poly of the cylinder there. That's interesting... :o

You can just hide the poly and it will work, you don't have to delete it.