PDA

View Full Version : Help

Dick Nelson
04-13-2003, 09:53 PM
Can anyone recommend a good way to learn LightWave (Express) and/or Aura? I'm a complete novice, but usually pretty good at figuring out how to use software. But I can't figure out anything about these applications based on the manuals. For a number of reasons, not the least of which is cost, a good book would probably be my best bet.

John Fornasar
04-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Dick,

There are a number of tutorials on this site, plus look for the "links" thread - it'll hook you up to a number of other LW sites.

The main home of LW tutorials is here:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

LW news, plug-ins, etc reside here www.flay.com
although I would suggest using LW for awhile before you start adding 3rd party plug-ins and scripts.

Books:

I haven't checked out recent editions, but I emember "LightWave 3D Applied" as being a project oriented book - it starts with model creation, setting the scene and lights, and walks you through the entire process.
After you get familiar with LW, Dan Ablans Inside LightWave 7 is highly recommended, but it does expect a certain knowledge going in.
If it's character animation, LightWave 3D 7 Character Animation by Timothy Albee is the way to go.

You will find that the online LW community is more than willing to help anytime you have a problem.

If at all possible, try and get to a user meeting, or look on this site for "Newtek Next Dimension Tour", Thread Starter = SplineGod in the LW Community section - even if alot of it is over your head, just watching someone else work in the program will help immensely.

Meanwhile, load some of the scenes that come with LW and start playing with them - change the lights, move the camera and models, etc.
Good luck, and have fun.