PDA

View Full Version : Pokey fPime behavior

Johnny
01-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I've noticed lately that fPrime is acting a little pokey for me. "Lately" as in since I upgraded to 7.5d and the latest versions of Panther.

The pokeyness happens while developing a scene in LW with no other rendering (like SN), nor any other processor-intensive things going on.

fPrime seems to a). take awhile to "kick in" almost acts like it's stuck. After it gets going, each progressive wave of render takes a long time..longer than I'm used to, and this scene is not all that complex.

eventually I get the same top quality preview from fPrime, it just seems pokey in getting there..

something about Panther and 7.5d and fPrime that might be "broken," perhaps with respect to one of those Panther revisions?

thank you!

J

Panikos
01-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Do you have some high-poly morphs ?
I used to experience terrible slowdowns of FPrime when I had some morphs with a lot of polygons.
I suggest to erase part-by-part the things in your scene to see what is causing the slowdong.
Other than this, maybe you have a task running in parallel that causes this symptom.

Good luck
:rolleyes:

wacom
01-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Try not to let anything get "overexposed" in your render. Fprime doesn't like lights and background lighting going way beyond white if you are doing radiosity. Try turning down those things that are, and turning up the intensity in Fprime. Also make sure your RayTrace Recursions are set to the minimum you need. If you could post your scene we might be able to tell you if it's your machine/lw upgrade or the scene its self.

Johnny
01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Try not to let anything get "overexposed" in your render. Fprime doesn't like lights and background lighting going way beyond white if you are doing radiosity. Try turning down those things that are, and turning up the intensity in Fprime. Also make sure your RayTrace Recursions are set to the minimum you need. If you could post your scene we might be able to tell you if it's your machine/lw upgrade or the scene its self.

I'm keeping my poly count pretty low: scene total is 3863 polys. I have 3 area lights and 1 spot light. 8 threads 2 recursions, raytraced shadow and reflection.

Could the 3 area lights be sucking power from fPrime?

J

Panikos
01-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Not FPrime related, but I never use more than 2 threads. Some plugins dont even like 2.

Ray Recursion has to be at least 4, I think 2 renders without raytracing.

Jeff
01-07-2005, 07:22 AM
I only had a couple of issues with FPrime when using 7.5d and Panther -

The updates weren't always instant - the best result was to use the arrow keys to jump to the next frame and back again to force a refresh. Not sure why it would take longer than usual though once it got going...

I did find that if the raytrace recursion limit was less than 4 then (only some) transparent/glass polys would not always render properly.

Just upgraded to 8, so hoping for an update from Worley soon to integrate it more ;)