PDA

View Full Version : This is a must!

Pensart
02-13-2003, 06:45 AM
Sorry for posting a link to maxon, but they have this very cool featsure...

http://www.maxoncomputer.com/movies/modeling.mov

This really is a must have!

vertiis
02-13-2003, 07:10 AM
that's why it's good to know as much 3d apps as possible...

;)

c4d r8 rocks... and u should see all the new animation tools...
i use them everyday now...

anyway... going back to my lw scene ;)

v.

eblu
02-13-2003, 07:37 AM
pensart... LW has a weighting function. the models' "subpatch weight" weight map works just llike that movie you refrenced.

Pensart
02-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Nah, not close.
Lw is using weights on the points not on the edges, this is a great difference.

eblu
02-13-2003, 09:05 AM
pensart, i can see your point...

theres alot of "real world" shaping done in a few simple strokes, using "edge weighting". in the movie theres an enviable soft corner that looks just about perfect for a molded plastic shape effect.

its obvious that selecting 2 points along an edge in Modeler and increasing the subpatch weight value, does not approximate weighting an edge vector. There is unwanted radial wieghting, and while with more detailed modeling this can be avoided... its slower and less effective than just supporting edges in the first place.

but, until you replied to me, there was no way to tell that you wanted Two features:

1. Lightwave to officially support edges in modeling (ala: a tab right between points and Polygons)

2. Lightwave to then extend its modeling features to work intuitively on the new edge mode, including: subpatch weights.

heck. it might be interesting to add extra features such as... the ability to use edges of objects as paths in LW... coupled with the boolean tools, that could offer a cheap easy way to create the effect of an object moving across a surface.

Pensart
02-13-2003, 09:27 AM
So what is the problem?
This is the "featsure request" section, not?
I'm not looking for an alternitive, i just suggest this nice thing as a featsure request.

eblu
02-13-2003, 09:32 AM
sorry, no problem...
i just wanted to make the laguage clear for the programmers. b4 it wasn't clear what you were asking for. now tho, it would be difficult to misunderstand.

Elmar Moelzer
02-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Have to agree, would be a cool feature.
However, I would personally rarely use it for anything else but subpach- weights, though this allone would be cool enough...
NT would need to adjust the object- file though and of course one would need to write the edge- weighting into Layout as well, or it would not be of much use, unless the object was frozen in Modeler
CU
Elmar

hrgiger
02-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Edge Manipulation tools would be awesome in Lightwave. I don't know how many times I've added geometry to my subpatch model just to get the shape I wanted and possibly added a few hundred to many hundreds of wasted polygons. The current subpatch weighting, while useful, doesn't work in a lot of situations where you only need an edge weigted and not the whole point area.

DigiLusionist
02-13-2003, 01:14 PM
I get all giddy like a little school boy just thinking about this exact functionality in LW Modeler.

Jimzip
02-13-2003, 04:11 PM
I agree, this would be a really handy tool to have in the future, is there any way to do something like this now?
Jimzip:D

PixelDust
02-13-2003, 05:10 PM
I'll add my vote for edge-manipulation tools and weights. For example, I'd like to be able to extrude edges. Using Extender adds an extra polygon at the back that has to be deleted.

hrgiger
02-13-2003, 09:37 PM
I thought I saw on flay.com at some point a tool that works like extender that doesn't have a back face?