PDA

View Full Version : Slider Wuestion

spec24
01-05-2005, 07:14 PM
How can you (or can you) have one slider control more than one channel?? For example you wanted one slider to control the opening and closing of a characters fingers all at once? Thanks.

hrgiger
01-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Add the channels to the slider in the slider properties panel.

spec24
01-05-2005, 07:37 PM
I know that, but that gives me one slider for each channel. I want one slider to control say 5 fingers - to control the pitch channel of 5 fingers so I can grab one slider, slide it, and have the fingers all close at once. Without using expressions that is.

hrgiger
01-05-2005, 08:51 PM
oops, my fault, I didn't see what you were asking. I'm not sure how to do that myself. I can tell you though that it is possible. Lukasz incorporated that concept into his ACS rigs. I just opened one up to see if I could tell how he was doing it, but I don't see the trick. I would reccomend emailing him and asking him how he did it. His email is: [email protected] at least, that's the one I have for him, I haven't used it in a while.

SplineGod
01-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Spec,
I wouldnt animate fingers that way. It sounds great on the surface but it takes a long time to setup controls that way and you end up with less control then you typically really want.

I would suggest creating selection sets and animating with those since items in a heirarchy will rotate additively. It also takes only a few minutes to setup and you can add or change them on the fly.

You could also use colin cohens free posemixer which works great.

If for some reason you absolutely must use the sliders you can create a master channel and have the other rotational channels in the finger bones reference that. The master channel can also then be tied to a slider.

hrgiger
01-06-2005, 05:01 AM
Spec,
I wouldnt animate fingers that way. It sounds great on the surface but it takes a long time to setup controls that way and you end up with less control then you typically really want.

There is no less control with tying the fingers to sliders. You can still animte them normally.

Thomas M.
01-06-2005, 06:13 AM
But let's say it's not a finger we want to control, but the brightness of several lights or their position. Is that something we could do with a slider? I now there's the scene editor, but I'd like to use sliders to change the colors and the brightness. Possible or not?

hrgiger
01-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Yes, anything in your scene with a channel fixed to it (light intensity for example) can be tied to a slider.

spec24
01-06-2005, 07:34 AM
There is no less control with tying the fingers to sliders. You can still animte them normally.

That's what I assumed. I will try it tonight (if I get the time). Thanks everyone.

SplineGod
01-06-2005, 09:50 AM
You could tie each individual channels of each finger bone to a slider which would take a lot of time to do and create some very large panels not to mention the time it takes to set it all up. To make this more efficient you have to tie channels of several bones in each finger to a single slider by using expressions. Then to get all the fingers to open/close you also would need a master slider to do that which requires more expressions. The problem with all this is it takes a lot of time to do and once you control something using expressions you lose manuall control over that chennel. So any finer control you need over the fingers is gone.

spec24
01-06-2005, 10:47 AM
okay - well, it would be a nice feature to have if you could assign multiple channels to a single slider easily. Oh well :)

hrgiger
01-06-2005, 10:58 AM
As I said, I would email Lukasz and ask him how he did it.

SplineGod
01-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Spec.
Its not hard actually. I just dont do it because its tedious to fully rig hands that way.
You also end up with less control because of using expressions. In the end its so much easier to simply create and use selection sets. I would also re suggest using Colin Cohens Pose Mixer. Its like morph mixer for things like bones and it has its own sliders. Rigging is a necessary evil one has to go thru in order to animate. Theres no reason to make it harder then it needs to be. :)

spec24
01-06-2005, 01:10 PM
well - I was thinking I could link all the fingers rotational channels that I needed to a single slider but also retain control over each finger individually, you're saying I can't do that, so it's not so hard then to select all my bones - especially since there are only 3 fingers. HA! :D The selection set though seems the simplest way to go.

bradenbickle
06-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Anyone know how to rig full animations to a slider?