PDA

View Full Version : not saving RGB

nick mariana
01-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Hello all,
I have a strange situation. I try to save a rendered frame out as an RGB file a jpg or tiff etc and it saves something that will not open with adobe reader or photoshop etc. any ideas? This is very frustrating. I used to use LIghtwave way back at 4.2. Now I have finally upgraded to the PC version at 7.5.
New tek support was not very and suggested that I typr in the file format in the file save requestor wizard but that does not work. The icon of the save info looks like an adobe "A"!
But the saved files will not open. and get tagged as corrupt.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

nemac4
01-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Make sure that you have added all of your input-output plugs. LW will still list the option to save formats even if the export plugs are not loaded.

nick mariana
01-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Okay, I tried adding the plugins and got the same result. that being some kind of file that will not load into anything! The icon for the "saved" file looks like an adobe reader icon.
Still frustrated....
It is probably one of those simple things but I just can't seem to puzzle it out.

nemac4
01-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Okay, I tried adding the plugins and got the same result. that being some kind of file that will not load into anything! The icon for the "saved" file looks like an adobe reader icon.
Still frustrated....
It is probably one of those simple things but I just can't seem to puzzle it out.

It sounds like your file associations are incorrect. An easy way to fix it is to re-install Photoshop and use the defaults during the install. You can also right click on the troublesome file and select "open with" ,.. then select Photoshop when you are prompted to choose an application. I am assuming that you are on a Windows OS.

nick mariana
01-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah,
I have tried to open the files with several programs but each one states that the file is corrupted, so it looks to me like lightwave is not saving them out correctly. very confusing to me!... I have tried saving in differnet formats and openning with different programs, so I do not think that photoshop is the trouble here.
Yep, it is a Windows 98 OS.
So I have reinstalled the plugins, and attempted to open with various programs. still not getting a good save that I can load elsewhere.
I can't figure why the file has an adobe looking icon when saved. shouldn't it have some kind of lightwave icon or at least the generic window graphic icon?
I would think so.
thanks...

nemac4
01-05-2005, 04:52 PM
well,.. win 98 and lw don't mix well. The Adobe Acrobat Icon sounds like a file association problem but I'm wondering what format you are saving to. What is the dot-3 extentision for the file? Can you post the file?

Also you might want to make sure you have installed the current Win 98 updates including directX.

nick mariana
01-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Last night got away from me!
There are no 3 dot extention on the file. May be that is why Nothing can open them.
I will post one tonight or tomorrow. Couldn't get my daughter off the net last eve.
life is tough ain't it?

BeeVee
01-06-2005, 09:14 AM
The problem is that Windows is pretty dumb when it comes to filetypes. It doesn't examine the file itself, so your files could be peachy, but it does examine the extension. Try adding the extension yourself to one of the files (in the format that you saved out of LW as, obviously! :)...

B

nick mariana
01-07-2005, 09:32 AM
GOT IT!
Thanks boys for the thoughts. It was a W98 deal. Ben hit it on the head. I renamed the rendered file with the proper esxtension and that did the trick.
Thank you one and all.