PDA

View Full Version : Will Picasso IV display Toaster Screen?

vonshep
01-04-2005, 01:13 PM
I've been looking at some old graphic cards, and I found that the Picasso IV has the ability to ouput the native Amiga screens to a regular PC monitor. Apparently the board plugs into a Zorro slot, while the "scan doubler/Flicker fixer" part of the card goes into the Video slot.

Now my question (and hopefully someone will know this), will the Picasso IV board output the Toaster screen to a PC monitor? I remember reading that the Toaster looks for "something" plugged into the monitor port of the Amiga for syncing purposes or something (which is why those ToastScans work really well -- which I can't find any to buy).

Now, I know you need two video slots in order to make this work. The A4000T has that problem solved. I discoverd that my A4000 in the HighFlyer expansion case actually has an additional Video slot in it. I hadn't figured that out until now. The riser card has a video slot on it with ISA slots (for TBC's) and then the original 4000 card plugs into that (which obviously has the shared Zorro/Video slot).

Maybe to simplify my question a bit...

How would you ouput the Video Toaster screen to a PC monitor on an A4000T? Will a normal flicker fixer/scan doubler card in one of the video slots do the trick? If it does, then the same should work with my Highflyer A4000d set up.

wilebill
01-09-2005, 11:26 AM
The Picasso IV is the BEST card for use with a T/F, provided you have 2 video slots like the 4000T. I have 2 4000Ts and have PIVs in both of them. I used a 15" LCD with one of them, and a 17" Sony CRT with the other. Both looked and worked great.

However, I don't believe you can separate the sd/ff portion of the PIV from the graphics portion of the card. Maybe you can, I know the CV64 3D has a separate "daughter card" for the sd/ff. I'm pretty sure the PIV is one solid card with sd/ff built in, and the whole thing installs in the video slot.

The only graphics cards you can use in an Amiga 4000 T/F, and get Toaster output on a PC monitor, is the Picasso IV and the Cybervision 64 3D with the scan doubler/flicker fixer module. The Amiga has to have 2 video slots to do this, and you have to use good RTG software. The CGX software is the best, the Picasso 96 software doesn't work that well.

This setup works really well and is very simple. You simply connect one monitor to the PIV's output and that's it.

Mech
01-11-2005, 08:09 PM
The picassoIV is a excellent card,It can be snapped apart(originally intended for the A2000 since the video slot is on the other side,but you could snap it apart and use it for any model. when you break it apart(you will see perforated lines) ,you must then plug the 2 supplied ribbon cables in to the flicker fixer part and the picasso iv.
the cadrs flicker fixer promotes everything(15khz and all) to 31+khz so you can use any standard pc monitor.

hope this helps,
Mike

tonsofpcs
01-16-2005, 03:31 PM
The Picasso IV is the BEST card for use with a T/F, provided you have 2 video slots like the 4000T. I have 2 4000Ts and have PIVs in both of them. I used a 15" LCD with one of them, and a 17" Sony CRT with the other. Both looked and worked great.

However, I don't believe you can separate the sd/ff portion of the PIV from the graphics portion of the card. Maybe you can, I know the CV64 3D has a separate "daughter card" for the sd/ff. I'm pretty sure the PIV is one solid card with sd/ff built in, and the whole thing installs in the video slot.

The only graphics cards you can use in an Amiga 4000 T/F, and get Toaster output on a PC monitor, is the Picasso IV and the Cybervision 64 3D with the scan doubler/flicker fixer module. The Amiga has to have 2 video slots to do this, and you have to use good RTG software. The CGX software is the best, the Picasso 96 software doesn't work that well.

This setup works really well and is very simple. You simply connect one monitor to the PIV's output and that's it.

I use the much simpler method: Amiga 3000 -- it has an on-board VGA out with FF/SD.

wilebill
01-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I use the much simpler method: Amiga 3000 -- it has an on-board VGA out with FF/SD.

Yeah, but you don't get the AGA capabilities of the Toaster 4000 if it's plugged into an A3000. :(

I'm telling ya, an Amiga 4000 Tower with a Picasso IV is the ultimate T/F machine! And I've got two of 'em. bwahahaha :D

Sadly, though, I don't even use 'em any more. I guess I should sell them so someone else can get the thrill of them that I once did.

tonsofpcs
01-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah, but you don't get the AGA capabilities of the Toaster 4000 if it's plugged into an A3000. :(
Thats ok, I only have a T2000 :cool: :(

nemac4
02-03-2005, 08:40 PM

I'm telling ya, an Amiga 4000 Tower with a Picasso IV is the ultimate T/F machine! And I've got two of 'em. bwahahaha :D

Sadly, though, I don't even use 'em any more. I guess I should sell them so someone else can get the thrill of them that I once did.

How much do you want for it?