PDA

View Full Version : My First Human... Revised

Tony Nelson
04-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Back in December, I posted some images of my first human model. Based on some critiques I received, I've worked on and off for the past few months on improving my model.

Any critiques are definitely welcome.

Capel
04-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Whoah.... her face looks like janet jackson's, only someone put it in a vice and smashed it vertically. The body looks great, modeling-wise. The textures could use some work everywhere. You can really see the crumple procedural you used in the pants. personally i don't like using procedurals for much of anything. But that's just me. Anyhoo, good work on modeling the body, but i'd tweak the face like crazy, or just start over on it. Later!:D

Capel
04-13-2003, 05:51 PM
I just noticed, you may want to tweak your weight maps between the thumbs and index fingers, and the biceps and forearms. also the bones just below the neck, (I don't know what they're called) the vertical ones by the boobie straps, they look like they need to be thicker.

Tony Nelson
04-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Here is a close-up of the face.

Thanks for the crit Capel. I don't really like using procedurals for anything either, I just got lazy. I am going to try to work on creating a rexture map that looks kind of similar to the look of wrinkled pants later tonight.

You think the face looks smashed in vertically. I actually thought it was too wide. Oh well. Back to the lab again.

Zombat
04-13-2003, 06:14 PM
arrg! The face needs a LOT of help!

it seems too wide, squash it a little. Also, if it's to be a woman, you might want to lessen the hardness of the jawline. Women don't tend to have square jawlines as she does. Smooth it out, make it a little less sharp, and cut down on the cheeks.

Dont widen it! Its too wide! waaay too wide. I think what he meant by vice squashed vertically was the head is too fat, and not tall enough.

Bring the eyes closer to one another - in comparison to the nose, the eyes are huge. Size them down a little.

The nose is a little ... piggy. I'd drop the front down a little, and perhaps make it a little larger (just a tad!)

Also, the shoulders are a little wide, and square. drop them down a little, and bring them in. The neck could be a little thinner. Also, the crease in the side should be a little shorter, and not so extreme

but overall, the face needs the most help.

Its good for a first try, but again, it needs a lot of tweaks

groodwanderer
04-13-2003, 08:46 PM
I just noticed that there seems to be a gap around her eyes. Oh and one thing if this is finished work then just post it for ppl to enjoy. If you want help and think it could be improved then pls post in the WIP section. I don't intend to sound rude so plz don't take it that way.

starbase1
04-14-2003, 03:48 AM
Have to agree about the face I'm afraid - something about it is horribly reminiscent of a ventriloquists dummy.

And I always found them really creepy!

:(

Zarathustra
04-14-2003, 10:18 AM
I'll answer the question: IT'S NOT FINISHED.

Damn. How hard is this to figure out? 2 forums. Finished means you're done working. WIP means you're still working on it.

sigh

Anyway, those cheekbones are pretty intense. I'll agree with the other points mentioned and add:
Nasty crease in the ribs on the right side
Bad seam at the base of nose
What's with that hat?
Pants look like you scanned a pair of pants and just projected on like a video game character
There's no sense of the Philtral ridge
The lips need re-shaping

and the bones by the "boobie straps" are the clavicle.

For a first human, I think it would be wise to try and model an actual person, so you have definitive reference for both your modeling AND texturing. There are plenty of references online if you can't find someone willing to pose for you.
This place is a great start:
http://www.fineart.sk/

Keep working and post updates in the proper forum.

good luck