PDA

View Full Version : VT4 SP1 Won't Install and Locks Up PC

goodrichm
01-04-2005, 08:23 AM
I can't get VT4SP1 to install at all!!! :confused:

Something that caught my eye was that during SP1 installation, it said that it was installing LightWave 8. It installed several LW8 programs, presets, etc. I only have VT4's LW7.5c upgrade installed on my PC. I know it's been said that SP1 does not touch LW at all, but I saw with my own eyes that it was installing LW8 files. I think this is the cause of my SP1 installation problems.

I have VT4 build 5432 (not a beta) with LW 7.5c Upgrade and Win2K SP4. The original VT4 build 5432 installs and works with no problems albeit the famous unstable audio problems everyone was having.

When SP1 installation status bar reaches the end (100%), the installation window disappears and locks up the PC with no error message. All I see is my normal windows desktop, but the mouse cursor is an hour glass and VT4SP1 installation program is minimized in Win2K's bottom program bar. I've waited an hour to see if PC ever comes back with an error message or unfreezes, but nothing happens. I can't even open up Win Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) or do a soft reboot because the keyboard is locked up. After cold PC reboot, and try to run VT4, VT4 says that it's first install and if I want it to auto tune. I click "Yes" and Auto Config checks the installed files with no errors and runs all the way through the different phases with no errors. When AutoConfig finishes, an error pops up saying that there's a VT4 Driver Error and can't communicate with VT card... I uninstall VT4 and reinstall VT4 build 5432 and everything works fine again.

I've tried to download SP1 a couple times with different download managers to make sure that the SP1 file isn't corrupted, but same thing. I've uninstalled & re-installed VT4 (logged in as Admin) several times, but no difference. Before uninstall & re-install, I closed all apps, etc. I've reached a DEAD END! :eek:

Has anyone else successfully installed SP1 and only has LW7.5c VT version (not stand alone) on their PC? Mark :(

Paul Lara
01-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I know it's been said that SP1 does not touch LW at all, but I saw with my own eyes that it was installing LW8 files.

Well, all the installer does is place some LightWave presets into a Presets folder.
I don't believe this is the cause of your lock-ups, Mark.

Scott Bates
01-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Has anyone else successfully installed SP1 and only has LW7.5c VT version (not stand alone) on their PC?
Yes, no problems. I saw the LW8 reference flash by, but doesn't seem to have negatively affected anything.

bradl
01-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Has anyone else successfully installed SP1 and only has LW7.5c VT version (not stand alone) on their PC? Same success here as Scott. I also saw the LW8 references flash by and wonder about it, actually I thought for a brief moment I might end up with 8 for free, but then knew that wouldn't fly.

goodrichm
01-04-2005, 04:06 PM
WooHoo, SP1 works now!!!

I called NewTek Tech Supt and Donny suggested that I try to manually install the VT4 SP1 driver through Win2K "Hardware Device Manager". Thanks Donny, that was the fix!

For those interested in the details...

- Tried to install SP1 and it locked up at the end as before. Did a cold PC boot.
- In Device Manager, the VT device had the yellow question mark next to it. I opened up the VT device and it said under "General" tab: "Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)".
- Under "Driver" tab, I selected "Update Driver" and it came back saying that a suitable driver is already installed and to reinstall current driver, click "Next". I clicked "Next" and it said that Windows has finished installing software for this device. I clicked "Finish".
- Under "General" tab it said that the Device is working properly. Nothing more about corrupted registry!
- I did a soft boot of the PC to make sure the registry was properly updated and closed.

Before calling Tech Supt, I checked the Win2K Event Logs and I found the following error message...

(Source: Service Control Manager; EventID: 7031) "The Video Toaster Real Time Media Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action."

Hope this info helps someone else out there...Mark

ScorpioProd
01-04-2005, 09:45 PM
The "error" you mention in the event log is simply the winrtme process being killed off. I get that "error" when I kill it manually.