PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade

Vincente
01-03-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm new to the Lightwave community and I have a problem. I've got the Lightwave 8 Discovery Bundle and I'm trying to complete the tutorials. Many of my steps are stalled because of my edition of Lightwave. Do I need to upgrade my edition or do I need to buy the complete version. I sure hope I didn't make a huge mistake buying this bundle.

Thanks for the advice,

Vince :confused:

mattclary
01-03-2005, 08:07 AM
You need to buy the full version. It's pretty much the same difference, either way.

Kurtis
01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Vincente,

NewTek has not offered a Discovery Edition of LightWave [8] yet. Where did you get it?

Are you possibly referring to the Training Edition? If so, that is the full version, and should have come with a purple USB hardware lock.

When you open LightWave, Layout or Modeler, check at the top left of the screen, and see if it says Discovery Edition. If so, and the hardware lock is attached to the system, this means that the hardware lock is not being seen by your computer or that the license.key file is not being read by the program. If this is the case, contact Technical Support for your area, and they should be able to help you.

mattclary
01-03-2005, 10:47 AM
NewTek has not offered a Discovery Edition of LightWave [8] yet. Where did you get it?

LOL. I was just going to ignore that part. ;)

Vincente
01-04-2005, 06:08 AM
It's actually the Full Educational Bundle w/o Manual.

mattclary
01-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Many of my steps are stalled because of my edition of Lightwave.

OK, you have a fully functional copy of Lightwave then.

You may be missing some buttons on the interface. Is that why you are stalled? If that is the case, you just need to scan your plugins directory to fix that. You may need to refer to the PDF documentation to figure out how to do that, I don't have LW here to look at, and can't remember if LW 8 still does it in the same manner as 7.x.

Kurtis
01-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Vincente,

As Matt said, that is a full version. We don't remove any features from our Educational version.

If you are missing plug-ins, there is a tutorial on adding them on our site here:
LightWave [8]: Edit Plug-ins (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/setup/8-EditPlugins/index.html)

There is also still the possibility that what I mentioned earlier is the case, even with a full version.

If that still doesn't work, you might want to contact Technical Support.

Vincente
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Everythings in order now.