PDA

View Full Version : Text on curve... how do you do it?

fabmedia
04-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Another great question by me. I have an eps file of text (logo actually) that I want to place on a curve matching the curve of the object that I'm placing it on. So like the text or logo that is found on a vehicle, this is protruding from the surface at 90.

Not sure how to do this, so all ideas and help is welcomed. I think I've seen a post like this before here, but I've been unable to find it.

Thanks
Arlen

PS. This is the thing it's going on...

riki
04-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Try here http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page04.htm

fabmedia
04-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Okay, so the drill tool. But when you drill something doesn't it just cut the object (in this case text) using a 2D plane of the 2 objects? It doesn't imprint the drill spherically does it?

A

Prosprctor
04-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Yes it does cut the object, so it leaves point polys, 5 point polys.

So here is how I do it...

highlight the polys that you need so that the logo/letters will cover (grab extra if ya want)

copy those and paste to a new layer.

You now have the correct curve for your object and can 'now' drill it.

remove all the polys you now don't need.....weld points to remove any 5 points, merge any other points.

now highlite all the polys and do a smooth shift and drag out the highlighted polys to the depth ya want.

IMPORTANT...if it is a drastic bend then ya might have to highlight each letter/part and drag in the correct direction to get the 90 ya are lookin for

Hold down the 'shift' and click on the original layer.
they should fit right back onto the curve ya copied them from;)