PDA

View Full Version : Motion Baking

jasonwestmas
01-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Hello, I'm trying to use motion baker on a character with IK in the arms and legs.
What exactly am I supposed to bake? When I bake the bones in the arms and legs I get large sporatic movements. When I bake the model, nothing happens. I'm baking in 'use existing mode' with position and rotation boxes checked.

Thanks

Dodgy
01-02-2005, 05:28 PM
If you're using IK you only have to bake Rotations. You have to apply Motion baker to every link in the IK chain, and then drag the slider so that you get keys at every frame or make a preview (so LW goes through every frame) then when you turn IK off, it should be correct. Keyframes every 3 frames is probably enough to mimic the motion.

Panikos
01-02-2005, 07:42 PM
I understand motion-baking saves more ram compared to displacement baking.
Personally I find displacement-baking more effective, you dont have to motion-bake 150 different elements.

Keeping the source animation backup is essential in case something goes wrong.
:p

jasonwestmas
01-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks Dodgy,

I think I'm missing something crucial though, it's not working at all for me. I'm applying the motion Bake modifier (HPB Rotation selected) to all the bones in the IK chain and then running 'make preview'. I then have a key frame at each frame for all those bones but still the motion does not transfer when I deactivate IK. The manual just confuses me so it's not much of a help with this.

Dodgy
01-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Hmmm, can I seen your scene?

jasonwestmas
01-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Hey, that would be great! Can I e-mail it to you?