PDA

View Full Version : volumetric Vegetation

Pavlov
01-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi all,
i wonder if someone has seriously tried to do vegetation with HV.
Usually vegetation is a continuous, fractal-generated volume, so Voxels should be a pretty good way to generate it.
Unfortunately, HV3 tools does not allow to use a BW map to control fractalization of the volume, so it's pretty hard to get something good. Again, fractalization tools are pretty much straight and simple to allow for tree's remification. I got some weak results but only after too much work to make it a viable solution.
It'd be interesting if next HV generation took this in account, implementing new features like bitmap-controlled volumes, L-systems and hyerarchical fractalization of the volume to get ramificated volumes and not only "disturbed" ones.
By now, i'd like to know if someone got good results using HV.

Another thing i did is making leaves with sprites and a particle system emitting from trunk obj; fast, but not controllable since sprites are always flat, targeted to camera and does not self-shadow, which gives a pretty flat result (hope NT introduces these too).

Paolo Zambrini

tischbein3
01-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Another thing i did is making leaves with sprites and a particle system emitting from trunk obj; fast, but not controllable since sprites are always flat, targeted to camera and does not self-shadow, which gives a pretty flat result (hope NT introduces these too).

and completly useless because of the alpha problem....

happy
01-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi all,
i wonder if someone has seriously tried to do vegetation with HV.
Usually vegetation is a continuous, fractal-generated volume, so Voxels should be a pretty good way to generate it.
Unfortunately, HV3 tools does not allow to use a BW map to control fractalization of the volume, so it's pretty hard to get something good. Again, fractalization tools are pretty much straight and simple to allow for tree's remification. I got some weak results but only after too much work to make it a viable solution.
It'd be interesting if next HV generation took this in account, implementing new features like bitmap-controlled volumes, L-systems and hyerarchical fractalization of the volume to get ramificated volumes and not only "disturbed" ones.

What about HD Instance?

Yeah, that was a plug. Seriously, though.