PDA

View Full Version : Make Multipass Rendering Easier

elifian12
01-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I've already emailed LW features about this, but wanted to share with all in case anyone has any insite.

Here is what I sent them:

I've setup an page on my site that explains the issue
that I am having.

Link to Multipass Render Images (http://canyondreams.elifianentertainment.com/MPR_errors.html)

The top images are using the Plugin "HD Instance". By
exporting the PSD buffer and comping in After Effects
or Photoshop, I get the unwanted results because the
volume shader does not render to the buffers.

The very bottom image (you can mouseover to see the
differences) is the same scene without the plugin HD
instance. It is also comped in After Efects.

Because the buffers do not render the volume, I am
forced to either not use the plugin, or try the
multiple scene rendering approach (very time
consuming). I apologize if this email is somewhat
redundant to the first, but I wanted to visually
communicate my point.

Why is it that the exported render buffers do not truly represent what is being rendered? How can I effectively use all that LW has to offer if the buffers don't give me what I need?

Thank you.

Mylenium
01-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Why is it that the exported render buffers do not truly represent what is being rendered? How can I effectively use all that LW has to offer if the buffers don't give me what I need?

Because pretty much every developer can code his volumetrics the way he wants and has to take care of such things on his own. Your problems are related to HD Instance being a volumetric plugin and not directly to LW itself even though surely things should be much better with standard LW rendering.

Mylenium

elifian12
01-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Ahhh...sounds like I need to drop a line to the developer. Thanks.

UnCommonGrafx
01-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Until they do something better than this, I'd suggest it as a solution for multipass management:
http://sps.polas.net/sps/

Surpassess

Mylenium
01-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Until they do something better than this, I'd suggest it as a solution for multipass management:
http://sps.polas.net/sps/

Surpassess

Yeah, but that won't solve his problem. I still wonder why people are raving like mad about this tool.

Mylenium

operation
01-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Mylenium:

Do you mean mad about surpasses ?
if it's thath, I will explain:

there is 2 principal reasons (there is more of course ...)
I am working in the broadcast industry, and we have short time to finish the project. Then it's very usefull to render in different pass, to "tweak" your render.
If you are not using tools like AfterEffect, Combustion,Flame, Inferno,Shake, etc...
It's hard to understand.
But imagine that your boss ask you to have more strong shadows, to change a color of an object, change the strenght of volumetric light. You can do it without rendering again your scene. It's very fast to do it in 2D ( post effect).

For now, I have to make 2, 3 or more scenes files by hand to have different pass ( to extract, shadow, color, etc... ) if you have G2 from Worley, you will understand why it so usefull.

the second reason, it's you can re-render only what you want, I am working on a projet and I had some radiosity problem, then I recalculated only the flicking objects with better parameters. Like this my render is faster and I don't have to recalculate all the scene with high parameter.

Imagine you are working on a movie with blue screen, the background and the forground is in CG .... to insert the reel character you need to render the forground ( ie: trees, cars ... ) (1 pass) .... and render the background.

we do it by hand now, but with surpasses you can switch quickly to what you need .....

the power of Surpasses (plugin) it 's working for the Layout view too, you can define group of object in different layers ( as the modeler) ... you can understand how it's powerfull and usefull to hide elements by group.

:D

Operation

Mylenium
01-04-2005, 05:27 AM
I surely understand the intents and purposes of multipass rendering - I have been using AE for 4 years and have recently be doing much more compositing than 3D animation. Still, I don't think Surpasses is such an ease on a compositors pain. It doesn't do anything beyond LW and without some more tools to complement it (a working PSD exporter for instance) a lot of the problems remain. and many things such as defining matte objects and other per object rendering options can be just as easily achieved using LScript or hacking the scene file in a text editor. so why should I spend the 90 EUR? There isn't just a strong enough argument for that.

Mylenium

operation
01-04-2005, 08:39 AM
thanks,

Good to know it's not working perfectly. You save my money.
Hope that Nt do an integrated module build in LW.

Operation :)

pazur
01-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Mylenium, Surpasses are not compositing tool only. Layers can be used in many purposes, for example when You are animating You can switch between lowres mesh + rig controls for setting up poses and hires mesh with all the rest hidden for previewing the work.
You can isolate lights to set them up precisely and see what areas they are affecting even if You don't intend to render in passes.
You can isolate objects for tweaking surfaces and Your previews will come up much faster.
You can change scene settings like AA level between passes - to create preview quality pass for example that will temporarily lower Your rendering settings to get faster feedback.
If You have very heavy scene that works slow in openGL You can temporarily hide not needed objects or change their display type to bounding box, etc.
There are many possibilities. There will be demo up soon to try out.

operation
01-06-2005, 03:29 PM
There is free tool, you can get it on flay ( it was done a long time ago... ) I just remember about it.

"Display layers for v2.6"

if work as master class plugin, you can create layers, changer the viewport and render too ...

I am sure that your plugin is better than this one Pazur. I just give this info for who's looking for a free tool.

are you looking for a beta tester ? :o