PDA

View Full Version : Setting up LW7.5 on a brand new G5

Cheryl2
12-30-2004, 08:31 PM
It's been quite a while since we've had to set up layout and modeler. In trying to set up a new G5, layout refuses to hang on to plug ins or retain display options. We don't recall having this much trouble in previous installs.

:rolleyes:

Cheryl2
12-30-2004, 08:45 PM
May have solved the problem...with the 7.5d upgrade. Downloading it now.
Hope it works.

Thanks

Zarathustra
12-31-2004, 08:36 AM
After you add your plugs and set your options, quit. Sounds silly, but none of that stuff is saved until you quit so if you do all that and Layout or Modeler crashes, you have to do it all over again.

I also highly recommend creating a folder in your LW folder, maybe something like "Configs" and move your prefs out of the preferences folder and put it them in this new folder. Next, change your cmdlines to look for them in this new folder instead of the preferences folder.
Reasons? Well, it's nice having all your stuff in one place and OSX does have those silly permissions and things which sometimes mess stuff up and could interfere with LW writing the changes to your config files if they're sitting in your preferences folder.

If your HD is called "HD", then your cmdlines should look like this:

-c"HD:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Programs:Configs:" -p"HD:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Programs:Configs:"

Also, keep a backup of your configs, because my Modeler configs get corrupted a lot.

I'm using the original 7.5 (no alphabet update) on G5, OS 10.3.7

Activator
02-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Open the Lightwave cmdLine and Modeler cmdLine files with TextEdit and change the drive name to your new drive name.

After cloning my system to a new G5 2.5, I opened LW about five times, set my prefs, and quit, but things just wouldn't "stick"! Changing the cmdLine files fixed it! :D