PDA

View Full Version : Help Despirately Needed!

mjroddy
12-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Ok... I'm SERIOUSL frustrated right now, so if I come across negatively, I humbly beg your indulgance. I'll try and maintain.
LIGHTWAVE STOPED WORKING! AARRRGGGHHH!
I'm a bit of a newbie, but know enough to get around and what LW should and shouldn't do.
Right now, I'm staring at a half-opened instance of LW Modeler that is "Not Responding." From experience (I've been at this for about 8 hours) I can say that if I End Task 8-9 times, it will go away. Then I have about a 25% chance that the next time I open it will work. Then, it chuggs away slowly - not like it was behaving last week, which was sweet. THEN, it won't send anything to Layout; everything in that pulldown is grayed out. I'm getting a LOT of warnings from my bloody NORTON SECURITY ALERT telling me that Worm Protection has detected a remote system that is attempting to access my computer. That file name is Hub.exe. I tell it to permit. I do that 6-8 times and then I get LW not responding.
On top of this, both Modeler and Layout take MINUTES to open - IF they open at all.
I just uninstalled LW and re-installed. Then downloaded 8.0.1 and installed that - twice. Nothing is working for me at all. This is mighty irksum, I gotta say. Any suggested help?

nemac4
12-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Turn off norton's firewall. I've found that software firewalls cause a lot of problems. If you really need a firewall, I'd suggest getting a router with one built in.

mjroddy
12-30-2004, 08:39 PM
I actually never installed Norton's Firewall.
Thanks for the thought, though.

Silkrooster
12-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Everything you stated in your other post suggest a firewall problem. Whether it is the built in firewall of windows or an add on fire wall. Which Norton product is on your system?
I suppose it would be a good idea for you to post what OS your using and build #.
Silk

mjroddy
01-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Hmm... Very odd, that bloody firewall suggestion.
I'm running under Win XP Pro, ver 5.1 (Build 2600.spsp_sp2 etc.)
Running Norton SystemWorks 2005. The option was available to install the firewall, but I specifically didn't do that.
A slight update; I uninstalled LW again and re-installed, but didn't do the update to 8.0.1. LW is no longer freezing, so that's good. Well, I can still lock it up using cloth dynamics, but that's gotta be just something I'm doing funky.
If I were more computer literate, I'd probably have better luck.
So, as you can guess, any and all suggestons are most welcome. Any way I can help you help me...
Thanks much and Happy New Year!

Silkrooster
01-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Since you are using SP2 of Windows XP Pro, the Windows firewall is turned on by default, you have to turn off the firewall yourself, for it not to run.
Silk

Noratio
01-02-2005, 01:38 AM
I'm getting a LOT of warnings from my bloody NORTON SECURITY ALERT telling me that Worm Protection has detected a remote system that is attempting to access my computer. That file name is Hub.exe

Norton (I've used IS2004) blocks suspicious IP adresses automaticly in this case I suppose Your lightwave hub. Block remains for some time that Symantec has described. It used to be a pain to me configuring multiple firewalls with Norton, but it can be done. You must configure Norton not to block software you are using. You need a firewall if you are at net, so I wouldn't take that of but configure it to allow my software to work. Norton support was poor when I used it, but you can try there too. Other possibility would be search trial versions of antivirus and firewall combos that aren't doing you that. Make sure you have Norton install disk if you decide uninstall it, they aren't that co-operative with reinstalls, especially to different system disk than before.

In windows firewall you must have on Exceptions tab all programs you want to allow. Unfortunately or more like fortunately I don't run LW under Norton , so what I wrote comes from experience with other softwares.

adrian
01-02-2005, 06:58 AM
I have to say I run LW with Norton Firewall running with no problems at all.... I do disable the hub though (although this is just out of habit now as I used to run LW on a less efficient system than I have now).

You ARE using a genuine copy of LW aren't you? I don't mean to question anyone's integrity here, it's just that I know of someone at work who was trying to use a cracked copy of LW which would always crash on startup.

Adrian.

js33
01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Have you scanned your system for spyware lately? The slowdowns sound alot like some spyware trying to take control. Download the free version of adaware or spybot and run a scan. There are even some badly programmed parts of some legit programs that hog the cpu. Post a screen shot of your currently running processes from the task manager and we can help you sort out if you have bad things running.

Cheers,
JS