PDA

View Full Version : Watch

otacon
12-30-2004, 11:42 AM
A little watch i did yesterday....comments welcome. :)

nthused
12-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Beautiful work.

sidetrak
12-30-2004, 12:34 PM
it looks wonderful, maybe the shadow directly under the watch looks a little too much?

starbase1
12-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Wow.

That is amazing.

I love the subtle levels of relief on the surfaces, they really give an impression of sub millimetre accuracy in modelling. And for once the depth of field is appropriate, not just an inappropriate trick.

I also like very much your use of reflection, which does not add unessesary detail, but really highlights the shaoe of the knobbly bits.

Gallery material, by a mile.

Csion
12-31-2004, 01:46 AM
The BEST! My favorite part is the center where the hands meet and the details like those small min/sec displays. It's a common design, but youve turned it into 3D perfection.

How did you start this model? Is it subdivided work?
And what did you do to make it have that blurred glow to it? DOF or post work?
Please, can I see some close-up wires or spots like the center point and details???

I just gave up on my watch attempt. I wanted to get used to some methods, but in all it was disapointing.

I don't know if it's wrong to ask tips in your thread, but that's a magnificent piece of work!

-Jace

adrian
12-31-2004, 04:59 AM
<GASP> Wow!!!!!!!

Excellent work. 'nuff said?

Adrian.

Zarathustra
12-31-2004, 08:27 AM
Nice.

I assume the DOF is done in Post?

otacon
12-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks!
Csion: I think its best to always have reference images. If you have a watch laying around, use it to check out the details. I started with the main body, its just a 24 sided disk that i beveled into the shape, when i got to the glass i copied the poly and pasted it into another layer. Then i continue to bevel it down a few centimeters to where the face is, cut that and paste it into another layer. Then i bevel the glass part out so its concave. So the body is subdivided, the band is subdivided, and the glass is subdivided. The face isnt, and the hands aren't. I stenciled on all the lines and numbers. The roman numerals are subdivided.

DOF was added in post, just copy the layer and gaussian blur it and then erase the parts you want to be in focus. And the soft focus is done in post. Its important to model even the smallest details when your doing an object like this. They really help bring it to life.
Heres a wire.

Zarathustra
12-31-2004, 03:54 PM
So I assume you have all the expressions worked out, with all the hands moving and the date rolling and of course all that would then be tied to the winder.....

LOL. I'm kidding. Well, you could but yuk.

spec24
01-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Stupendous! That's it :)

etobiason
01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
That looks great. I really can't add anything to the praise already given, so just a question about the roman numerals...should they be upside down at the bottom? Of course I don't know about the watch you are modeling this after, but on most watches don't the numbers stay "right-side up" for the viewer?

otacon
01-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Im not sure how they are on most watches. The reference i used had them like this, so i figured it was right.

Caligo
01-18-2005, 12:26 PM
If it weren't for the wireframe, I'd swear it was a photograph. Very, very well done. Can I ask about the lighting setup you used?

otacon
01-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Light setup consisted of the kitchen probe hdri in the background with background radiosity on. One area light, and one point light to give some more light to the face. Ground was excluded from the radiosity.

nelsonm
01-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi,

beautiful work! It looks real!

The only problem i see is with the black minute marks and black bordered circles. They look like their stuck on top of the face plat kind of one dimensional and flat. Almost like a decal.

I mean no offense - its beautiful work, but the marks and circles could be a little more 3 dimensional tiny pieces. Unless, of course, you planned it to look flat. If so... then never mind!