PDA

View Full Version : Spherical image from whole scene

Dirk
12-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi all,

Is there a way to render a spherical image of a whole scene (not only the sky, its for a 3D game), and for selfmade HDR images?

thnx!

Thomas M.
12-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Tesselation Kugel im Modeler mit hoher Unterteilung erstellen, Kugel im Layout als Child von Camera etablieren (Camera ist parent und Kugel genau an deren Stelle), zweite camera erstellen die in der optischen Achse der ersten camera liegt aber in genau die umgekehrte Richtung zeigt. Kugel mit dieser neuen camera rendern (Kugel perfekter Spiegel) und einmal in PS horizontal spiegeln. Je nach Entfernung der camera zur Kugel ändert sich auch die Perspektive.

Erstelle so immer meine eigenen HDRI mirrored ball Bilder.

Grüße
Thomas

P.S.: Komme auch gerade erst wieder aus Frankfurt

mattclary
12-30-2004, 09:49 AM
I've wondered this myself. Anyone care to translate?

automan25
12-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Here's the translation from Babelfish:

Tesselation ball in the Modeler with high partitioning provide, ball in the layout as Child of Camera establish (Camera is parent and ball exact in their place), second camera provide in the Z-axis first camera lie however into exactly the reverse direction show. Ball with this new camera rendern (ball of perfect mirrors) and once in HP horizontal reflect. Depending upon distance camera to the ball also the perspective changes. So always provide my own HDRI mirrored to ball of pictures. Greet Thomas P.S.: Come also straight only again from Frankfurt

automan25
12-30-2004, 12:07 PM
You can use this handy little script to create a cube-mapped render of your scene: www.vizualizacije.com/QTVR/QTVR_cube.ls

Once you do that, save the resulting image as an .hdr image. Then use HDRShop to convert the projection from cubic to spherical.

HDRshop is available here:
http://www.ict.usc.edu/graphics/HDRShop/

Thomas M.
12-31-2004, 05:43 AM
Wow, this translation explains quite a lot. Especially why middle aged inhabitants of this planet alway fail to set up a vcr to record a program at a certain time!

My way is pretty simple. When creating a reflection map of my scene I shoot a miirored ball the way my camera is set up. When you want to shoot your scene the camera needs to be set up in the opposite direction that you end with the reflection of your scene in the mirrored ball. You only have to mirror the image afterwards in PS to inverse the reflection again. The result should look a bit like an 8mm fisheye lens on a 35mm camera. But actually this lens type only covers 180° while the mirrored ball cover 360° -minus the area behind the mirrored ball. So the further you are away from the ball with your camera, the smaller the region that gets lost.

A happy new year to all of you and I wish you good luck to reach the goals you are aiming for in the new year. All the best.

Thomas

kyuzo
12-31-2004, 06:34 AM
Or you could download the pixel filter plug-in called JJ_special_projection and render straight to a HDR format. I've used this method a few times, and find it to be the most straightforward.

Derek

automan25
12-31-2004, 08:54 AM
Boy, it doesn't get much easier than that. Here is the link to the "JJ Special Projection" plug-in, among others:

http://www.arrakis.es/~juanj/

This plug-in works very well.

tischbein3
12-31-2004, 05:06 PM
just to make this thread complete

although due to the nature of it (pixel filter), you will not be able to render volumetrics

happy new year