PDA

View Full Version : DVD help

Harry Houdini
12-30-2004, 02:12 AM
I Just rapped up a shoot in India, and I am now trying to burn the final project out, how ever I am running into a problem with the DVD. The first half of the film plays fine, but it skips badly towards the end. The project is 96 mins long not including extras. Does this sound like a Software or hardware issue? This shouldn't be a problem once it goes into production. Right? And if that is true any suggestion in the interim?

Tad
12-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Hi Harry,

I feel for you dude! I'm in a similar boat. I had just posted, "Speed Razor 5.51 to DVD?" yesterday seeking answers, but have found few. It seems making universally compatible DVD's is a crap shoot with some NLE's. I seem to have picked a bad bundle.

I don't know what to tell you except to ask what format of video and audio did you put on the DVD? the media (discs) themselves might be bad as well. have you tried various discs? (RW, vs. -R or +R?)

keep us posted...

tad

robewil
12-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Tad and Harry,

The reason you are not seeing a lot of helpful responses is probably because the problem you are describing can be attributed to one or more different things.

1. How are you encoding the MPEG-2 files? Are you using CBR or VBR? What data rate for video? What audio format (MPA, PCM, or AC3)?

2. What authoring software are you using? Are you re-encoding the video and audio files?

3. What burner do you use? What speed do you burn?

4. What brand DVD media do you use? Is it -R or +R?

5. Finally, Have you tried more than one player? Different players play home-made DVD's differently.

WCameron
12-30-2004, 03:41 PM
as an addition to this, generally, once you master your DVD files to the appropriate Video_TS and Audio_TS folders, its not a bad idea to DEFRAG that drive. i've noticed on some burns where the files are badly fragmented i can get skips and shudders on some burns.

That is assuming your not trying to burn them out via the Mastering software (which seems to be real hit or miss in some cases. best just to use Nero or something - your millage may vary)

the bigest other thing that causes it in my experience is the Media itself.
If you use Crap media (as a generall rule, say NO_NAME brand stuff like
'platinum', KHypermedia, teon, etc) as opposed to HP, Sony, Maxell, fuji etc,
I'd recomed burnig on them at HALF their max rate.
for instance i bought a 50 pack of Teon DVD+Rs on Black Friday for like 9
bucks (well it will be whenever i get the ****ed mail in refund :-) and they are
rated to burn at 8 speed, but if i do burn video onto them at 8 speed it'll play maybe half the disk before it starts burping, skipping and eventualy just freezes.
If i burn them at 4 speed, however, so far i havent had those problems.

- Will.

Harry Houdini
12-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi Harry,

I feel for you dude! I'm in a similar boat. I had just posted, "Speed Razor 5.51 to DVD?" yesterday seeking answers, but have found few. It seems making universally compatible DVD's is a crap shoot with some NLE's. I seem to have picked a bad bundle.

I don't know what to tell you except to ask what format of video and audio did you put on the DVD? the media (discs) themselves might be bad as well. have you tried various discs? (RW, vs. -R or +R?)

keep us posted...

tad

Hi Tad I found this great website. They have been super helpful. Be warned though there site is filled with spam. turn off your cookies and activex.

http://dvd.box.sk/boardm.php

Andyjaggy
12-31-2004, 06:50 AM
It sounds to me like you set the bit rate to high when encoding your video. As a general rule you should never set it higher then 7.5. I use DVD Studio Pro and usually use a 2 pass VBR with the max set around 7.0. Older DVD players can't handle much higher then 7.0 or 7.5.

I would also suggest that if you are burning a master copy to send out for duplication to use the best media you can buy, all DVD's are not created equal, also when burning your master I would suggest burning at 1X, yes it may take a little longer but your chances of having having errors on the disk if you burn any faster are alot higher.