PDA

View Full Version : external controller

nikolai
04-13-2003, 07:19 AM
everytime I use the external controller for printing to tape on a digital vtr, I am getting a new random timecode on tape, wich is not very usefull. Sure I can use Speed Razor, but I just wonder if I am doing something wrong, because I think printing to tape is a pretty common request on the t2, isn't it??

thanks for reply
nikolai

vanguard
04-16-2003, 02:56 PM
timecode can usually be set on your VTR to preset in record run or free run, or to use an internal preset, or even incoming VITC when in regen.

Baffled?

Internal regen will make the timecode "pick-up" when you press record.

If no timecode is present, then most VTRs will start new code somewhere near the last good TC.

So, somewhere on your VTR should either be a menu setting, or a hardware switch to set this.

Sometimes its a simple as internal/external TC.

Sometimes you get all 4 settings (like on DVCPro VTR)

the other way to achive a TC pickup is to aviod the assemble edit altogether, and to do inserts on a blacked tape.

Doing inserts preserves the TC in place on the tape already.

Hopefully this helps.

If not I'll try again.

creach
04-21-2003, 01:31 PM
This is Toaster's ONE BIG weakness.

It edits. I composites. It animates. (it slices-it dices!) But it won't put it to tape where you want it? Baloney!

We use Speed Razor to print to tape. We create compilation tapes that we place the projects (30 second spots) on in the sequence they were made. With SR it's easy to insert to tape, but I don't think the external controller would do as good a job.

NOTE: the above is my opinion only.

Yes. And I still think VT[2] rocks!

Dan