PDA

View Full Version : MAC and Linux

vivekd
12-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Hello,

Do you guys now if it is possible to set up a linux and MAC based renderfarm?

-Vivek

Lynx3d
12-28-2004, 04:41 PM
If i'm not mistaken there only was x86-Linux Screamernet for LW 7.5, and there's none at all for LW8.
So nothing PPC-Linux relatet i know of.
(but i hope i am wrong there)

vivekd
12-29-2004, 08:49 AM
What about running it using LWSN 8 and WINE???

blueagave
12-29-2004, 09:30 AM
I've run older versions of LWSN under Wine, in fact I've heard of full up LW running under Wine. You might check over in the LW-Screamernet forum to see if anyone has tried it with 8 yet, and join the crowd waiting for a Linux LWSN client.

Lynx3d
12-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Eh...i thought WINE ist x86 only...so he'll surely not be running it on a Linux MAC.
Only chance would be some WINE-equivalent to run OS X applications under PPC Linux (i.e. a Mac OS API wrapper for PPC Linux, like WINE is a Win32 API wrapper for x86 Linux)
Don't know if there's such a project that lets you run OS X applications without having OS X installed, i don't even own a Mac.

blueagave
12-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Yes, WINE is X86 only. I read the original post as wanting to mix Linux nodes and Mac nodes, rather than using PPC Linux. The advantage of Linux nodes is usually in buying cheap x86 boxes. He can run LWSN on OSX, so I don't see much point in running Linux on PPC. Although I may have missed the point entirely...

Lynx3d
12-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Oh...yea that somewhat makes sense, no matter who missed the point here...
I do know people running Linux on PPC, so i assumed he was one of those... :D

Hm will WINE handle the network-stuff correctly too?
Never really tried WINE, am still too much a Windows-guy...