PDA

View Full Version : UV Maps and Screamernet

3djab
12-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Quick question for the Screamernet pros; has anyone ever had a problem rendering scenes over Screamernet where UV maps are used as textures on the objects? I did not personally build the scene, but I set up the render farm at one of our other offices, and we tested the rendering over the nodes and everything worked perfectly except for the scene that was created using the UV maps. I opened up the scene in Wordpad and checked to see if there were any Master Handler Spreadsheet issues and there were none. Clean. Is there a process with using UV maps that we need to be aware of that may cause issues when rendering over a network? It renders fine without going through Screamernet. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

onemanmedia
03-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Have you received any info on this problem...I am experiencing the same thing on my end and this is the only post I can find that relates to this problem.
Thank,
Chad

hdace
03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
The one thing you haven't mentioned is whether the control node on your network renders textures normally in stand-alone mode (ie with LW scene loaded and hitting F9).

I have found cases recently where the surfaces editor loses texture images when transferring from one computer to the next, particularly with a couple of the builds in the open beta program. Which version are you using?

hdace
03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Of course, the more obvious cause would be that your images folder can't bee seen by all of the nodes on the network. Once again, more information about how you set up the common volumes on your network would be useful to troubleshoot this one. Lastly, are you on PCs or Macs?

voriax
03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Hdace is probably right, your SN is either not finding the texture paths, or not finding the plugin paths (for image loaders).
I've rendered quite a few scenes over SN with UV'd objects, with no problem. Double check by trying to render an object that has regular style mapping (planar, cubic, etc), to double check whether it's finding the textures.
And, as I always say, watch the node's dos window while it's loading the scene to see if it's reporting any missing plugins or missing textures.

bassmanjam
04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I've encountered this on a Mac render farm. Watching the terminal output explicitly says that the texture images are in the old/wrong place. When I manually edit the lwo's texture image path in a text editor, Screamernet is no longer able to load the model. Anybody got any ideas on why this is?

The nodes are using a shared directory on the host Mac so I can't just open the model in Layout and update the texture image path since the nodes don't use the same path as the host computer does.