PDA

View Full Version : 3D Palace - Lightwave not popular enough?

spec24
12-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Over at 3D-Palace on their forums LW is listed as not popular enough to have it's own forum section. Hmmm.

Jeez - and check out this guy's quote:

"...Right now im being forced to learn lightwave, coming from max im not liking it very much. Another reason I dont like Lightwave is that its probably never going to get another update, so why learn it when one could learn all the other top quality and supported applications."

mattclary
12-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Let them think that, no big deal. Over at CGTalk, the LightWave forum is the busiest app forum there with over 142,000 posts.

When you start posting meaningless quotes from someone who wants to say something bad about LightWave, it sounds like you are trolling.

spec24
12-28-2004, 12:50 PM
if it sounds like that to you then so be it. I get worried as it does seem like Lightwave is losing ground and I don't want it to. I see this kind of attitude towards LW a lot out there (the guys's quote). That's not good for Newtek and it's not good for me because I like using LW. I think NT could, however, do a lot of things to improve. Have you seen that Lightwave Vx interface that Matt at creative-design proposes. Fantastic interface. LW could definetely use a facelift like that, and the better workflow.

Axis3d
12-28-2004, 02:09 PM
spec24 -

I wouldn't sweat it. I've been using Lightwave since 1990, back in the day when nobody thought it would go anywhere. Back then, all people wanted to know was "are you using Alias or Softimage?". Neither, of course, since Lightwave was my secret weapon. Since then, I've generated tons of money with it. And it still has the nicest renderer out of the box than the other big apps (which is the reason I picked it for). Sure, all programs need improvement, but Lightwave has the most bang for the buck right out of the box, which is proven by all the cool images in the Lightwave gallery.

Yog
12-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Over at 3D-Palace on their forums LW is listed as not popular enough to have it's own forum section. Hmmm.

Jeez - and check out this guy's quote:

"...Right now im being forced to learn lightwave, coming from max im not liking it very much. Another reason I dont like Lightwave is that its probably never going to get another update, so why learn it when one could learn all the other top quality and supported applications."

Just to clarify, the above quote is NOT from the site owner, in fact here is the quote the sote owner psted "Get people to post more about Lightwave and I will put its forums back up. Frankly its just pointless at the moment as it sits there getting about one post every 5 days if its lucky."

The guys got a point, if an app only gets 1 post every 5 days, it doesn't really warrent it's own forum.

theo
12-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Ummmmmmm.............like................so what????????? Who really gives a flying pig about 3D Palace anyways?

I just as soon have just a few dedicated LW forums anyway- that way you concentrate the talent and wisdom pool. Most LWer's are much to smart to be wasting valuable time on forums that don't matter.

Doran
12-28-2004, 03:09 PM
The guys got a point, if an app only gets 1 post every 5 days, it doesn't really warrent it's own forum.

I think since Lightwave has many very very busy forums what this really speaks to is the irrelevance of 3D Palace's forum; Lightwavers don't want to post there, so what..

willog
12-28-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm not really sure why we should be concerned in this forum about another forum post regarding the popularity of Lightwave.
I am quite new to 3d and lightwave, so excuse me if I am wrong in any way.
One thing I have noticed in the 3d and digital art forums, is that people love to start flame wars about this software and that software.
I visit this forum and a couple of others relating to Lightwave for information, help and advice. If I was to get involved with all the forums available for 3d then I would hardly have time to actually practice the genre.
So why is it that we constantly have these type of threads that invite competitive comments that usually lead to ugly comments and non productive posts. Surely we are all here to achieve something worth looking at so lets concentrate on just that.
I guess that maybe more than my two cents worth eh?

cresshead
12-28-2004, 03:40 PM
3d palace is not the premiere forum for any 3d app...most top apps have good forum's on their own webspace such as newtek and discreet, both who have a good quality web boards..other than that artists go to cg talk and if they are really mad about posting everywhere they'd also drop by on spinquad for lightwave stuff as well as cg talk and newtek's own forum...

so maybe 3d palace is really for those apps that have a poor fourm of their own and need 3rd party areas for posting about the app....such as maya and xsi possibly...to say that lightwave or any 3d app is slipping ground is plain silly just because a forum hosted on the outer rim of the internet has only a few posts every few day is...well...lets just say that theirs loads of quality forums for apps and 3d palace is not in that league of top places to visit for a 3d arist...maybe if they upped the quality of their site then maybe people would visit it more often.

i have heard in recent weeks that 3d palace is going to re launch and move to a better server space...let's hope they make a good re build of their site and attract more visitors with top quality area's for news,training and galleries etc

steve g

Jure
12-28-2004, 04:02 PM
What's 3d-Palace anyways. I never heard of it before.

I feel like LW has a bright future once again and that's all it matters!

spec24
12-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Sorry guys - I didn't mean or start such a discussion. Mostly I was saying "can you believe these guys" - but then after thinking about it a while I notice that a lot of places have Maya and Xsi forums and leave out LW. Hey - it bothers me - Lightwave is my tool.

Hervé
12-28-2004, 11:43 PM
let them do so... while browsing forums they dont work...

Ok ciao ! I need to go to work... :D

(besides that... the name 3DPalace sounds veeeerrry cheap... :D :D

Karmacop
12-28-2004, 11:49 PM
No one knows what 3d palace is. Just talk here or at cgtalk.com :p

Noratio
12-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Only reason I went to 3D Palace, really sounds dirt cheap, was Digiwonks tutorials that were linked from his own page. I did sign up for downloading them, but still waiting reply after several months. I did download them from kurv studios untill I found out they were at IK booster DVD. People in palaces just act that way...I'm not invited :cool:

evenflcw
12-29-2004, 02:39 AM
On the IK Booster DVD? Thats nice, but isn't it kinda odd ? Supplying free rigging tuts with commercial rigging tuts. That could only happen in a closly-nit LW community :)

theo
12-29-2004, 10:30 AM
No one knows what 3d palace is. Just talk here or at cgtalk.com :p

Don't forget Spinquad sweaty-

Doran
12-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Sorry guys - I didn't mean or start such a discussion. Mostly I was saying "can you believe these guys" - but then after thinking about it a while I notice that a lot of places have Maya and Xsi forums and leave out LW. Hey - it bothers me - Lightwave is my tool.

What the Palace has done is equivalent to LWG or Spinquad opening a forum for other 3d packages and claiming other packages are not well supported as evidenced by their lack of posts... The founders of these boards are interested in a specific 3d pack or packages.. and this is what they actively promote.

Flay sometimes has news about other packages.. but judging by the Lightwave bias one could conclude Lightwave is the only 3d package worth using.

Again 3d palace is an irrelevant board.. There are plenty of boards that have healthy a Lightwave presence. I can't work up enough interest my self to check 3d Palace out.. I don't wish them bad luck but if you are hoping that their Lightwave support picks way up.. I fear you are bound to be disappointed.

Karmacop
12-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Don't forget Spinquad sweaty-

Good point, spinquad is a great forum too, but why'd you call me sweaty :confused:

oDDity
12-29-2004, 05:32 PM
It's pretty much the same at the 3dbuzz forums as well, the lightwave forum is virtually dead.
I put that down to the fact that maya has twined with unreal tournament, and was used by id software for characters, and they only released a plugin for maya, XSI twined with Half Life 2, and 3ds max is always the first app to have a plugin written for it by fans when any game engine is released - lightwave usually doesn't get one at all since it's so much more cryptic and obtuse.
Maybe lightwave should try twining with some popular game engines to generate some popularity among the younger audience, and making the lwo format ascii instead of binary would help too.
Still, it more than makes up for it that LW's forums at the hardcore, professional cgtalk is the most frequented.

Firestar3D
12-29-2004, 07:54 PM
I've heard of:
3DM, CGTalk (But then again who hasn't), CGChat, Newtek (Yeah this one), Spinquad, Splinecage (only recently), and LWG, 3dTotal.

Of all of these, the forum I visit the most is LWG, primarily because that's where I first started out, and because it's LW specific. Also it's a matter of personal choice.

I do try visiting the others, but I haven't always had a very welcoming response when I've posted work there (I never fail to get constructive feedback at LWG or CGTalk).

theo
12-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Good point, spinquad is a great forum too, but why'd you call me sweaty :confused:

Weeeeeelllllllllllllllll.....you are Jacks' cold sweat are you not......which makes you....well.........um........kind of, sort of, sweaty does it not? ;) I swear are you trying to kill me with a question like that? I was laughing so hard my back just about went out and if it had your butt would have been sued big time for vertebrae repair. All over being somebody else's sweat. :D

Karmacop
12-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Ahhhhhhh ... I get it now. Sorry for almost killing you, I'm just a bit slow :p

hrgiger
12-30-2004, 11:21 AM
People who say that type of thing about an app are generally people that are always looking at what an app CAN'T do or what THEY can't make it do. They're the grass is always greener on the other side types. And like 70% of humanity, they're usually morons.

Matt
12-30-2004, 11:51 AM
LightWave is represented well enough over the internet, I wouldn't worry about it too much - personally I think 3DBuzz would be the only loss as it's visited by quite a lot of CG artists. But the LW forum there is dead because a lot of users just don't have the time to keep track of all the forums, I only visit SpinQuad and here.

olblue
01-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Regarding this, I never actually said that Lightwave is not a popular application. The only reason that we dont have a lightwave forum any more is because no one uses it at all. I tried without any sucess at all to tempt a lightwave using video tutorial author to palace after Larky went off to do whatever he is doing now and its just impossible to get one.

Having too many forums on 3d-palace was making the place hard to navigate and so because there were only 3 posts in about a month in the LW area (people dont post on a site if there is nothing there for them to talk about) I merged it into the more general "Other applications" area.

IF anyone knows a good lightwave tutorial author please do get in touch, I am happy to host and encourage anything that increases the free educational material in the community; we host over 500 large video tutorials at present with another 200 or so going up in the next quarter. Out of those we have the seventeen excellent tutorials by Froggyplat, the two bloodcells tutorials by Squid, a duece of tutorials on making a fuel manifold by Larky- plus a bonus one on making a fuel cap as well as six video tutorials by SC on sci fi ship creation. Thats 28 video tutorials, not many by comparison to over 400 max ones - however thats still 28 free video tutorials, so you cant really say we are not trying to help the LW community.

So please, when you read this, remember we do want a LW community, however until the tutorial authors ger their fingers out and come over to see me to make some free tutorials for me to host, nothing is going to happen. Not because I dont want it to, but simply because "I am an old school Max user. I cant use LW".

Cris

olblue
01-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Ummmmmmm.............like................so what????????? Who really gives a flying pig about 3D Palace anyways?

I just as soon have just a few dedicated LW forums anyway- that way you concentrate the talent and wisdom pool. Most LWer's are much to smart to be wasting valuable time on forums that don't matter.

Incidentally thats the attitude that stops people making new video tutorials for new users. No new users watching the easy to follow video tutorials means they go watch ones for other apps. (I have lots of those - so does Jason Buzby and Ed Harris - LW would get a lot more new end learners and people moving across if there were more video tutorials.)

I have personally spent thousands of dollars to host a massive collection of video tutorials all for the benefit of giving them to the community. I dont do this to realise a fat-*** profit bit instead to share learning materials.

Finally - next time someone on here says something bad about something, should I perhaps immediately believe this is the view of Newtek? If not then perhaps you would be kind enough to tar me with the same brush as someone commenting about their own opinion.

Hervé
01-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Amen.... :D