PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a Render Node

vivekd
12-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Hello all,

I really want to build a rendernode from scratch for my company. The problem is that I want stay under 1200 and I am not to sure which CPU to select and which mother boards to use. Furthermore I am restricted in the fact that the node must fit a 1U or 2U chassis. And the renderfarm will be both for Lightwave and Maya, Should I go after a dual processor system? Any suggestions...

Thanks,

Vivek

Ade
12-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Intel is for lightwave and AMD is for Maya, which will be used more then go for that cpu.

vpii
12-27-2004, 05:57 PM
I built an duel amd opteron 242 for under 1500 a few weeks back from sparten technologies, I have been please so far. The amd seems to give you more for your money, if you had extra$ go for the zeon, for budget the amd is the way to go.

Karmacop
12-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Don't the new 64-bit amd chips have the same extensions as the intel ones now? SSE3 or something? And that's why Lightwave was faster with raytracing on intel chips?

vpii
12-27-2004, 06:40 PM
I guess I really dont know about that for sure. I do though look forward to the 64 bit lightwave and how the speed increases then. Time will tell. I looked at http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/ and from that the amd seemed to stack up to the intel.

vivekd
12-28-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks for your replys, I sorta decided to go with a duel Xeon Dell system great price. The question i have is can you run two instances of Screamernet for a duel system?

-Vivek

Jure
12-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your replys, I sorta decided to go with a duel Xeon Dell system great price. The question i have is can you run two instances of Screamernet for a duel system?

-Vivek

I recently had dilema between Xeon and Opteron. I went for dual Opteron machine in the end because all the benchmarks were showing Opteron performing faster than Xeon. And you can get nice Tyan mobo for Opterons which is not too expencive. I build my computers by parts though. I don't know if you can get budget dual processor machine like that build by a trade mark company somewhere though.

And about your Q about Screamernet: yes, ofcourse you can. You just run two screamer nodes, one for each processor.