PDA

View Full Version : level of detail

Alex Attwater
12-25-2004, 12:47 PM
when i use level of detail plugin im having problems with my base object changing to a level and not reverting back to the base object any body run into this problem and a possible solution or one of you experts know how to point me to a list of threads on this subject please and merry christmas or happy saturday to all

Alex Attwater
12-25-2004, 05:33 PM
i always see views but never replies, what is it guys do you despise the fact i don't know jack? question too simple no im not on crack, i just wonder how it is that you pros can't give back to the kids, the up and comers, getting no response is such a bummer, i swear your cab drivers and im danny glover, i get no respect you could call me rodney, burry six feet after you embalm me, with digital silence filling my ears, i feel hypervoxel may turn to tears, fears neither here no there but maybe the ryhme will make you aware, theres others out here with fresh thoughts and i know advice these days needs to be bought, but what is it that will peek interest, do i have to take a pic of a bare chest, ripped open exposing cavity, this calimity is hitting harder than gravity, 9.8 meters per second is about the time i recon, for one of you to take the time to mention, you may have seen this problem before, i relise it took time to explore, and maybe if you shared such knowledge you'd feel a whore, but no believe me theres ample reward, such as pride in taking the time, not to mention having put humility aside, i would be greatfull if you dropped a line, so kick me boot me make fun and tease but on bended knee my plee i beg of you please, is this a problem you have seen, base object, level of detail, the plugin keeps changing its mind more than a female, the camera gets close but remains underscore LOD4, i don't get it, just a simple point in the right direction..ppppppppppplease

Wade
12-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Alex,

I use Lightwave almost every day and have for 4 or so years, but do not know enough about your particular problem to offer you help.

Wade

mattclary
12-27-2004, 04:32 AM
I don't know the answer either. You should maybe post it on CGTalk or one of the Yahoo LightWave boards, maybe someone who can help you will see it there.

A little secret of human psychology; People like to feel smart. Unless you ask something REALLY stupid (like, how do I make a box), odds are if someone knows the answer, they will trip over themselves to tell you allllll about it. ;)

Alex Attwater
12-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Well Thank You Kindly Wade, Matt For Responding Much Grattitude, I Have Past Over The Level Of Detail Option At This Point After Resaving, Re Nameing, And Replacing, My Buildings In Ther Perspective Setting Three Times Over The Span Of A Week I Have Decided To Trudge Forward Wtih This Polygon Heavy Scene And Crossing My Fingers Hoping For The Best, Unfortunately Still Needing To Add A Substantial Amout Of Detail To The Scene, I Fear I May Have To Give A Crack At It Yet By The Time The Scene Is Fininshed Hopefully By Then I Can Find Someone With The Specific Nameing Conventions I Must Be Battling With But I Thank Both Of You For Responding And Upon Finding This Info I Hope To Share It With The Both Of You. Happy Monday And Peace

SplineGod
12-28-2004, 03:14 AM
Which LOD plugin are you using? There are two: One that uses object replacement and another that changes the subpatch level based on distance to the camera.

Alex Attwater
12-28-2004, 07:07 AM
THE OBJECT REPLACEMENT ONE I TRIED TO FOLLOW A TUTORIAL WHERE IN I STARTED WITH A DETAILED WALL THEN USED REDUCE POLY 3 TIMES THEN SAVED EACH LAYER AS AN OBJECT WITH THE THREE EDITED VERSIONS USING THE _Lod CONVENTIONS....THE PROBLEM I RAN INTO IS NO MATTER WHERE THE CAMERA WENT ONCE I GOT BACK WITHIN RANGE OF ANY GIVEN BUILDING(OF 11) THE BASE OBJECT WOULDN'T RENDER AND EVEN UPON CHECKING THE PLUGIN THE BASE OJECT SLOT OR PARAMETER WAS BEING REPLACED WITH THE RESPECTIVE _Lod FILE IT LAST USED...IT WAS REALLY CONFUSING SO I INDEED TRIED TO RENAME THE LAYERS BY ADDING .OBJ ON TO MY INITAL BASE OBJECTS WHICH DID NOT HAVE THEM BECAUSE I HAD USED THE SAVE LAYER AS OBJECT OPTION. SO NOW I HAVE FOREGONE USEING THE PLUGIN TAKING THE RISK OF USING THE HIGH POLYGON SCENE BUT WOULD GLADLY TRY IT AGAIN IF YOU COULD POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION......HAPPY TUESDAY AND PEACE

SplineGod
12-28-2004, 12:07 PM
What tutorial were you following? Also could you describe the scene youre working on? Lastly, could you not type in all CAPs, its hard to read. :)

Alex Attwater
12-28-2004, 02:10 PM
http://www.nuf.dk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=102 is the tut i used as a guide of course i didn't need to load it in show box, the scene 7800 frames an alley 11 buildings simple camera work basically faking a first person shooter with sillouettes popping out like police training since i have to keep renders low im not using radiosity or any complex characters just flat poly image maps so i thought to bring some life id take the faces of the building in the alley i lined them with simple poly bricks on 9 of the buildings and give it a some what more realistic feel than just bump mapping some bricks since im already giving up radiosity well with that said when i was first trying the brick expirement it was crashing layout and i being the newbie that i am assumed to many polys thus object replace now (call it a christmas miracle) i got them in there (haven't added any other props though i.i.i.)
but SIR SPLINE GOD SERIOUSLY i don't want to waste your time sir. i am a newbie remeber but heres what i thought.....if only had to deal with the base objects being poly heavy and the rest just reduce poly versions that it wouldn't crash or would be easir on renders when it came time.....but i could never get the base object to work right no matter where i moved the camera it would stay a replacement obj after the initial replacement :confused:

SplineGod
12-29-2004, 12:45 PM
A big help would be to simply the scene. I find it easier to create the models and scenes based on what the camera has to see and do. Do you have an idea of what the camera does?

Dodgy
12-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Have you set the distances correctly in the plugin? If you set the first one to 0m, or something very small in relation to your scene size, the base will get changed out as soon as you render and won't come back...

Alex Attwater
12-30-2004, 10:47 AM
**** it dodgy i bet thats it, it only makes sense, **** i can't wait to get home and try it.....hey dodgy on that note could you please advise....in a four minute scene with a whole lot of poly's ....right now with no radiosity or anti ailising (underground not perfection here key phrase: git-r-done) it takes bout 3o sec. to render a frame ....will this time decreace using obj replacement based on the buildings poly count decreasing by half respectively at 30ft and 50ft in a thousand foot alley 9 buildings have bricks on the wall facing camera for added realism that bump map just didn't do it for me. i guess in theory i didn't know if this was a teqnique used in games for a certain reason i just figured less poly count quicker render .....is this correct? ....and thank you sir for your reply im guessing the distance on the initial object is problem i have found my work around now but if time permits i will attempt to use object replace on this project so i sincerely thank you.. :) ..peace

SplineGod
12-30-2004, 12:46 PM
One thing I would do Alex is create your models and scenes based on what the camera will be doing and what it will see. It doesnt make sense to have lots of details on objects you may never see close up.

Also try rendering some of the buildings and mapping the images onto polys that are further away. Also build just the facades of buildings if you wont see the back sides.

In other words treat the scene like a movie set. :)

Dodgy
12-30-2004, 01:11 PM
In game you wouldn't model all the bricks, but use a texture and bump map, but you might model irregularities at any SHARP corners, where you would be able to see the silouette of the building, so you don't get clean edges which give the game away :)

Wade
12-30-2004, 01:40 PM
With a little work on texture maps you can get a brick texture that will work very well unless you are looking at a brick itself. I once - a few years ago thought I wanted "real" bricks in my scene, but soon found it to be absolutely unnecessary.

Wade :)