PDA

View Full Version : Getting 3D Studio Max objects into LW

LeighG
12-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Something over two years ago I purchased the De Espona 3D Encyclopedia not realizing all the objects only came in .max format. I tried to find a way to convert them to something that LW can use but came to grief. Then life stepped in and I forgot about it.

Now I'm revisiting the issue. I'm a Mac OS X user and Santa just brought me LW [8] and I'm loving it. Fast, smooth, better. Well worth the money.

I have a copy of 3ds Max 5 running on a virtual PC with XP Pro. I can read in the .max files just fine and export them to .3ds just fine.

Both LW 7.5 and 8 supposedly read in .3ds files. My problem is that both 7.5 and 8 seem to open the files but suffer a hard crash after the last dialog box is clicked. I've tried various combinations of the options offered, rotation, scale, etc. but still LW crashes hard.

Has a Mac user out there figured out this problem? I suppose it is possible to get PolyTrans on the VPC but LW should work.

LeighG

tmdag
12-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I don't know solution for crashes but You can try exporting .obj file from 3dmax. Obj file format is mutch better than 3ds. It supports multiple UV's adn do not unweld vertexes

LeighG
12-25-2004, 12:40 PM
I don't see .obj as an option in either "Save As..." or "Export" in 3ds Max 5.

What else might I try?

tmdag
12-25-2004, 01:16 PM
obj format in 3dMAX is supported by some plugin