PDA

View Full Version : Smoke - FX and Hypervoxels Anomaly

rzick
12-24-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm having a difficult problem when creating a simple HV cloud using an FX emitter and a wind effector. My particles are textured with HV, and when my wind effector is set to "direction" the HV particles behave as expected. However, if I chang the wind effector to something else, like "rotational(y)", the HV cloud starts flickering wildly. It's as if each particle in the cloud is spinning out of control. It kind of resembles a strobe effect.

I want to use various wind settings to shape and control the cloud in general, but can't seem to get beyond this weird problem. I've messed with just about every setting on the emitter side, the wind effector side, as well as the HV side. The only thing is to change the wind back to directional. Even small changes in the power or rotational settings with the other types of wind produce this flicker problem.

Any ideas? I wanted to upload an .avi but since that is not allowed, the best I can do is describe it.

Thanks!

chriz
12-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Are your voxels set to 'align to path'? That can cause problems with multidirectional forces, especially if your particles hace resistances above zero. When they slow down to zero, the texture 'pops' to the new direction, or 'flickers' if the particle stays put.

Hoopti
12-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Are you using sprite mode? I've seen that happen when I combine the two in that mode. If so, try another type, it will hit the rendering times, but that's the only way I got it to work.

Hoop

rzick
12-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Actually, yes I believe they are set to align to path. I will disable this and see what happens. I'll let you know shortly.

Thanks.

rzick
12-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Chriz,

Excellent! Once I disabled "Align to path" in the HV interface, everything looks normal. Thanks for saving me loads of troubleshooting time!

chriz
12-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Glad to be of service. That killed me on a tornado gig I had awhile back.