PDA

View Full Version : Is vertex paint buggy?

peter66
12-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi, I'm having a tough time working fast with vertex paint (LW8.0.1). Has anyone else found that it quite frequently displays polygon normals all wrong so you can see through half your model until you rotate around or select a bone?

Also a couple of little things like when you select your brushsize you can only see it as a cursor until you actually start painting.

Shortcut keys are also particuarly difficult to suss out.

Cheers
Pete

Hervé
12-23-2004, 11:40 PM
always crashed for me... never used it... :D

-NG-
12-24-2004, 03:40 AM
Probally yes......when i sometimes uses it, it doesn't show up at all, and then sometimes it shows up.

You hear alot of things about Vpaint that it isn't really working:(

peter66
12-24-2004, 06:01 AM
I've also found that the way weight maps deform the mesh is significantly different between vertex paint and layout. It seems to make the entire process pointless!

Can anyone help me with this?

Axis3d
12-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Once I figured out how much Vpaint does, I don't rig characters without it now.

peter66 - I'm not sure why your polygon normals show as flipped, it sounds like a display driver issue. I have never had this problem. I've always used an Nvidia display card (currently a Geforce Ti 4800). Try downloading the latest driver for your card.
If you want to see how big your brush will be before you start painting, just right-click and drag in the window and you'll see your brush size interactively.
Also, I've never gotten a different result with the weight/bone preview in vertex paint versus what it looks like in Layout. Maybe some of your bones are not using weights and are influencing parts of the geometry that they shouldn't. Make sure that any bones that you do not need to animate are inactive. An active bone without a weightmap can adversely affect the others.

Hope this helps.

Dodgy
12-30-2004, 06:29 AM
I would definitely back up axis on those points. It's most likely a bone which hasn't got a weight map which is influencing that area. If you have some bones with weight maps, and other without, the bone with weight maps will have their influence limited to the weighted areas.