PDA

View Full Version : DVD-ROM & home DVD player question

SLAYER
12-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Not really LW related, but I am wondering if there are home DVD players that will play DVD-ROMs other than computer DVD players. I am talking about the home theater type for the living room.

I get sick of watching all my LW training DVD's on my Monitor. I have two DVD players other than my computer that will play all formats including DVD-R,RW,+R, etc..., but I cannot play ones called DVD ROM like the KURV Studios DVD's. It would be nice to be able to watch these on my TV in my bedroom or living room. Certainly some of todays newer DVD players can play these without any kind of hacks or tweaks right?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Macet01
12-23-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't have any of the Kurv DVDs so this is an educated guess at best. A DVD ROM is not playable because of the formatting of the disk. Think of it like a PS2 DVD. You wouldn't dare put that into your normal DVD player because its not formatted for that type of playback. So, I think that you may be out of luck unless you have one of those media edition 'puters.

Sorry to put a damper on things but I found this out the hard way.

koots
12-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Get one of those 3d multimedia cards, and play the file onto the tv. I have used my tv as a side monitor sometimes and it works pretty good. You could also pick up on of those media edition PC's, When I go to work next week I will ask one of my tech staff if they know of any DVD players to play DVD-rom's onto a TV, i have never heard of any, but that does not mean they are not out there. I think your best bet will be going with a media center PC. They are really cool, and under $500. Good luck!

UnCommonGrafx
12-23-2004, 08:30 PM
As I understand those Kurvs dvds, they are a compiled disk, not a dvd spec, i.e., they are packed for storage not for playing.

A few choices for you:
- Play it out of a computer with a tv interface to a tv;
- Render those puppies out to a dvd format and burn your own;
- Or, my favorite, get a VT[4] and one of those standalone dvd recorders and play straight to dvd. :p

Until those players make the effort to play wmv or mov, you won't have much luck with these kind of dvds.

Silkrooster
12-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Actually any movie you purchase is on a DVD-ROM Disc. The difference is that a lot of companies that make tutorials will create quicktime files or window media files and burn them to disc or to a tape and send that out to be pressed on a rom disc just like movie companies do. Except the movies that play on a set top player for your TV is an mpeg2 file.
There are companies like Pinnicle that make wireless transmitters to transmit any video or audio single from your computer to your TV or stereo. Just remember if you want anything over standard video resolution or HD you need to have a computer that can handle the extra data, preferably 3.0GHz CPU.
Silk

SplineGod
12-24-2004, 01:51 PM
The reason that the KURV DVDs are setup as data DVDs is because you can get more material on it and at a higher resolution. DVD video is very low rez compared to screen captured videos. Standard TVs are interlaced and you would get nasty flickering on part of the LW interface that are single pixel lines (horizontally) plus it would be hard to read any text. Televisions are not designed to show details well.
DVD resolution is basically 640x480 compared to something around 1024x768 minimum off a computer.