PDA

View Full Version : Animating Hydraulics

BaseZero
12-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Hello all,

Did a search on this one, but didn't turn up much in the way of what I need. Attached is a basic picture of the setup that I'm looking to employ in a model. I want to be able to move one side of the scissor and have the Hydraulic pistion follow properly… any quick and dirty ways to do this come to mind?

Thanks,
Jim

riki
12-22-2004, 05:53 PM
There's an old tut here on IK Hydraulics, I haven't read it so not sure if it's useful or not.

http://www.niklasindustries.com/tutorials/tut_hydraulics.htm

I'm guessing that you'd probably need to use and expression to keep them in sync.

Cman
12-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Here's a really indepth tut on using expressions

http://www.richardbrak.net/tutorials/copter/index.html

liquidpope
12-23-2004, 09:21 AM
You don't need expressions at all.
In modeler, rotate both parts of the cylinder so each point in the positive Z direction, each from their own rotation point.
In layout, add a null object at each rotation point, parent those nulls to the scissor arm parts. Then make each cylinder part always point to the nulls.
I'll try to post some screen grabs in a bit.

James

Cman
12-23-2004, 11:02 AM
You don't need expressions at all.
In modeler, rotate both parts of the cylinder so each point in the positive Z direction, each from their own rotation point.
In layout, add a null object at each rotation point, parent those nulls to the scissor arm parts. Then make each cylinder part always point to the nulls.
I'll try to post some screen grabs in a bit.

James

Great idea!
@BaseZero, attached is a "scissors" file.

Layer 2 has a "follower" motion applied so it's Heading is opposite of Layer one.
Everything is just parented and targeted to each other.
So if you move Layer 1 everything moves. If you rotate Layer 1 on Heading then the whole thing scissors. 3 Keys aer set and Oscillate is added to post-action of Heading of Layer 2 in Graph Editor.

It works! ^_^