PDA

View Full Version : duplicate polys

automan25
12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
During the modeling process I sometimes end up with duplicate polygons. One poly stacked on top of another identical poly. Since they are both identical I can't see them. I know they are there because I occasionally run across them by accident by deleting one of the two polys. These duplicate polys can sometimes cause problems when rendering. Is there a quick method for locating these duplicate polygons and deleting them?

Silkrooster
12-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Good question, it is simple once you think about it. or atleast I had to think about it. :rolleyes:
Lets say you created a square and you selected all the polys and copied then paste them, but forgot to flip them and give them a surface name. Well in this case a couple of shortcut keys will do the trick.
1) Select a single poly in the topright window(which should be your perspective view).
2) Press ] key this will select all polys for that object.
3) Press " key this is the invert selection key, now you have the polys inside the object selected.
4) Press delete key or give it a surface name or flip it. Your choice. ;)

Silk

BeeVee
12-22-2004, 01:51 AM
If you have duplicate geometry often a simple "Merge Points" (m) will also suffice.

B

evenflcw
12-22-2004, 04:47 AM
... followed by Unify Polygons command.

automan25
12-22-2004, 10:05 AM
All good ideas. It was the unify polys command that I was really looking for. Unify polys works great. Thanks to all.