PDA

View Full Version : Orthographic Renders

ssignore
12-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Can any one please tell me how you go about rendering orthographic views?? I find it hard to believe that this is not possible...

tektonik
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
welll... beleive it !

there is no viable way

i do arch viz work and when i need to output elevations I need to move-out something like 5km and zoom-in accordingly to get rid of the vanishing points

super d** s***ing omission....

we also badly need clipping planes on cameras for cross sections

spud_q
12-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Here this may help you out. I'm not sure how perfectly accurate this is but it’s always helped me out when I need a quick Orthographic render.

http://www.arrakis.es/~juanj/

This plug includes a pixel filter that may solve your problems. Once again I have not used it enough to know that it works 100% but it always worked for me.

Also here is a quick before and after shot :)

lasco
12-30-2004, 02:48 PM
fact is that you can fake orthogonal "perspective" views like the one posted above,
with or without third part plug.
But there are NO ways to render frontal views I mean when you need to "cut"
your scene with a plan…

It's a serious missing of LW we are tens to ask for a solution for years and years,
I'd be curious to know if there is even one other 3D soft that does not do this.

Scott Gammans
01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
POV-Ray (my former modeling and rendering tool of choice) is FREE and it does orthographic rendering.

Tsk.

wacom
01-06-2005, 04:42 PM
You people still aren't trying out Pview are you?

Scott Gammans
01-07-2005, 03:45 PM
You people still aren't trying out Pview are you?
Sure I tried it.

BUT IT STILL ISN'T A REAL ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDER.

All that PView does is automate what you can do by hand (move the camera out several klicks and then zoom in). The end result is still not a true orthographic render. It's about as close as you can get in LightWave, but it's still not a real ortho render.

p.s. Here is the post where wacom suggested PView a year ago:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=11012

lasco
01-08-2005, 03:45 AM
The only real orthographic stuff you can get
is not in rendering in the Layout but in exporting
views as 2d vector images from the Modeler :
- in the Modeler, rotate your objects on 2 axis (45° and 45° or 60 and 30,
whatever you need)
- then you'd see your model in orthogonal perspective
in some of the geometrical viewports (front, right…)
- export this view as .eps
Now it's sure this is only good for technical / graphic images,
not for realistic renderings…

Besides what LW misses too is to export .eps files from
the PERSPECTIVE view of the Modeler, a function that exists
also in many 3D softs… except LW !

wacom
01-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Sure I tried it.

BUT IT STILL ISN'T A REAL ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDER.

All that PView does is automate what you can do by hand (move the camera out several klicks and then zoom in). The end result is still not a true orthographic render. It's about as close as you can get in LightWave, but it's still not a real ortho render.

p.s. Here is the post where wacom suggested PView a year ago:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=11012

You forgot this one which was kind of a mini update:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=21462&highlight=Pview+Wacom

Show me in the wireframe render where the you can see a vertex that isn't lined up? True there isn't a huge amount of perspective in my example , but I'd say that PView is REALLY CLOSE.

If not perfect it's really really really really close then. Try doing a screen capture of your geometry in Layout in an ortho view, and then do a wire frame render of it in Pview...all of my tests (which aren't the best) showed NO perceptable change.
I agree that we need real ortho...but 'till then you'll just have to put up with PView- and it's WAY better than trying to do it by hand (which I've done).

Does the Client care if it's REAL ortho or not as long as it looks like REAL ortho? Stop being so anal retentive about if it's real or not- Pviews other problems are what keep it from being a super star...

Scott Gammans
01-10-2005, 02:19 PM
I can't help being anal.... it's in my nature ;)

You forgot this one which was kind of a mini update:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=21462&highlight=Pview+Wacom

Show me in the wireframe render where the you can see a vertex that isn't lined up? True there isn't a huge amount of perspective in my example , but I'd say that PView is REALLY CLOSE.

If not perfect it's really really really really close then. Try doing a screen capture of your geometry in Layout in an ortho view, and then do a wire frame render of it in Pview...all of my tests (which aren't the best) showed NO perceptable change.
I agree that we need real ortho...but 'till then you'll just have to put up with PView- and it's WAY better than trying to do it by hand (which I've done).

Does the Client care if it's REAL ortho or not as long as it looks like REAL ortho? Stop being so anal retentive about if it's real or not- Pviews other problems are what keep it from being a super star...