PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 premiering in...

archiea
04-12-2003, 04:02 AM
... your sister *****

Seriously guys, whats the urgency for 8.0. The 7.5 books are JUST coming out. Is there a particular feature that you know is in 8 that you are waiting for?

Personally, I'm waiting for 7.5 c, especially since I have a mac. I'd do more posting for newtek to do a maintainence release before they do a feature release.

if they want to throw in a DV based mocap system with the maintainence release, that would be fine too...

;D

Now how about you all just kick back, relax, and enjoy a nice heaping cup of shutup....

Karl Hansson
04-12-2003, 08:52 AM
I think, although I might be wrong, that there is a general concern about professional studios might dump LW if it theres to little development on it. I know that many of the users like to use the same tools as the studios, because they want to learn the tools that is used out there so that they one day might be able to apply for one of those jobs. Or they might already be working at a studio that uses it. Either way people have invested lots of time and money into LW and they do not want it to become obsolete. Thats why so many people including me whant an upgrade soon.

Only my humble opinion.:p

Epita
04-12-2003, 01:02 PM
well, there are still loads of ppl that are my age that are just coming into CGI with LW as there program of choice. me am one of them. also 7.5 came out almost a year ago, so its not that much of a rush really. so LW does loads of stuff allready whats the point of asking for more.

Epita

DaveW
04-12-2003, 02:45 PM
The point of asking for more is so you can do your work faster and easier.

archiea
04-12-2003, 03:33 PM
I think a good maintainence release also lets you work faster. Whats good news is that Jenison has made a direct reference to Siggraph and LW, so there appears to be some plan. Don't forget Chuck's recent comments as well. I just don't see the point of people constantly asking for 8 blindly, like its the answer to their problems. To list desired features in the new features sections seems far more constructive.

hrgiger
04-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Well there are also people that are hoping that 8 is some kind of re-write of the program, which would make the maintenance upgrade you seek pretty much pointless. At least to those who are interested in upgrading.

harhar
04-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Why do you want them to rewrite Lightwave? Is there something fundamnetaly wrong with Lightwave that only a complete rewrite can adress the problem?

Extent
04-12-2003, 09:40 PM
the problem with wanting a rewrite immediatly after a maintainance release is the point of a maintainance release is to fix bugs in the old code, a rewrite is all new so your time doing maintainance is kind of wasted! :)

I'm surprised there hasn't been rabid discussion about 8 since the press release on the mainpage that says people who buy the VT3 get a free upgrade to 8 when it comes out. It means we're "in the zone" :D

Extent
04-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Nevermind, I'm officially on crack, the upgrade was VT2 to VT3

*doh*

faulknermano
04-13-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by archiea
... your sister *****

Seriously guys, whats the urgency for 8.0. The 7.5 books are JUST coming out. Is there a particular feature that you know is in 8 that you are waiting for?

Personally, I'm waiting for 7.5 c, especially since I have a mac. I'd do more posting for newtek to do a maintainence release before they do a feature release.

if they want to throw in a DV based mocap system with the maintainence release, that would be fine too...

;D

Now how about you all just kick back, relax, and enjoy a nice heaping cup of shutup....

good one archie. exactly my thoughts. :)

hrgiger
04-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by harhar
Why do you want them to rewrite Lightwave? Is there something fundamnetaly wrong with Lightwave that only a complete rewrite can adress the problem?

No, I don't think so personally. I was just presenting that as an option as to why someone would be anxious for 8 instead of another .update. I'll be fine with either.

Epita
04-13-2003, 11:47 AM
well, i dont think a total re-write is at all neccesary.

Talking of the intergration, did you ever use some of the older versions, when integration between layout and modeler was awful. the exporters have been greatly improved to (only i wish more programs would use 7 not 5.5)

the undo things are anoying but they dont need a total rewrite to get done.

Epita

Freak
04-14-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by harhar

Yep exactly what CIM said....

Almost 3 years between paid upgrades is a long time.
But we all know that a rebuild was necessary...

We could of played the bandaid approach for a bit longer,
but a core rebuild or should that be a rebirth, is really the smart solution long term.

Integration will fix many of the problems lightwave has suffered
for many years (it will create a few new ones too)
But the good does outweigh the bad, if it's done good and proper.

And it seems they did....

pixelmonk
04-14-2003, 05:16 AM
... your sister *****

;D

Maya 4.5 books are still coming out.. what's your point? There's still a market for L7.5 and Maya 4.5 regardless of what's around the corner. Also, it doesn't just take a week to develop a book. Some of these training materials were started a year ago.

Newtek has already stated there's a team working on patches for current versions of their products, aside from development of future products.

pixelmonk
04-14-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Extent
the problem with wanting a rewrite immediatly after a maintainance release is the point of a maintainance release is to fix bugs in the old code, a rewrite is all new so your time doing maintainance is kind of wasted! :)

I'm surprised there hasn't been rabid discussion about 8 since the press release on the mainpage that says people who buy the VT3 get a free upgrade to 8 when it comes out. It means we're "in the zone" :D

Who says the rewrite isn't being done at the same time as bugs are being squashed on the current version. They have more than one developer. Also, there's people that won't get 8 when it first comes out. Couple that with existing problems with the 7.5b release, they will probably want to get 7.5 shined up concurrent to development of 8.

Chuck
04-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Freak
Almost 3 years between paid upgrades is a long time.

It's only been a little over half that amount of time since 7.0 was released.

archiea
04-14-2003, 03:48 PM
My point is that there is plenty still to learn. And who cares if maya 5.0 is out. Its development cycle is different from LW. Compare the update we got with 7.0->7.5 compared to Maya 4.0->4.5. Even maya users laughed at the update.

cresshead
04-14-2003, 03:53 PM
and about 2 weeks since 7.5b....

you'll never make some people happy!....

on a slightly related note..... i'v still NOT upgraded to max 5 from 4.2 even though it came out last summer..the reasons??
1.price of upgrade [710]
2.buggynes of max 5 and 5.1 "bugfix"
3.max 5 feels like walking thru treacle..i use it at collage to teach on and quite loathe it...
4.the real lack of features in the new versions..it feels like a bloated max 4.5 rather than a lean mean max 5 machine.
5.overall nothing exciting in max 5..radiosity sux,lightracer..i have that in final render and vray already..the dreadful interface re jig where the snaps,degrdation over ride etc were removed from the main u.i...[idiots!] i just feels like a hotch potch of a mess around and "reactor tacked on" to give it value [not]

i'll be interested in what lightwave 8 has to offer when it comes out later this year

if it doesn't deliver excelent character tooks [easy/fast ik and rigging for example] i'll be looking to add maya 5 as a solution of motion builder.

lightwave "as is" already covers most ground with quality tools and just needs character tools to be brought upto speed and ease for me to finally dump max/character studio.

cheers for reading...

steve g

Freak
04-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Chuck Wrote:

"It's only been a little over half that amount of time since 7.0 was released

Sorry that was a typo.. I meant to say almost 2 years.......
It will be 2 years at Siggraph......

I have no problems with that, i was one of those people, yelling for a good update, rather than a quick one.

As for complaining about 7.5b......
Well come on, i was very restrained on my 7.5b bashing.....

It deserves much more than i gave it.....
And after playing with it all weekend, i have no desire to do it again.... I set new records for LW crashing....

Clearing or Reloading scenes has a 98% chance of crashing.

I now name thee Lightwave - MaxWave.... :)

iBlue
04-14-2003, 05:53 PM
to newtek

make it new, make it revolutionary and make it bugless, i will be happy to buy it whenever you finish it.

to everyone:

Why do you want it now? I mean yea its cool that they are making it but if they gave you LW8 today and they didnt finish making it all it can be you'd all complain.

Have patience, good things come to those who wait.

pixelmonk
04-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by iBlue
to newtek

make it new, make it revolutionary and make it bugless, i will be happy to buy it whenever you finish it.

to everyone:

Why do you want it now? I mean yea its cool that they are making it but if they gave you LW8 today and they didnt finish making it all it can be you'd all complain.

Have patience, good things come to those who wait.

That's the silly notion.. people think Newtek would actually rush production and release it prematurely just because some people yapped on a forum. That isn't gonna happen.

nemac4
04-16-2003, 01:23 AM
For those interested, This ortho pack demo mov file has an interesting lightwave version.

http://www.irrationalnumber.com/html/Movies/ortho_demo.mov

David Mitchell

Rory_L
04-16-2003, 04:11 AM
Lightwave 8 premiering in... ... your sister *****

I just asked my sister to lift her skirt and show me her bum.

I hold you personally responsible for the glowing red hand print on my face!:D

R

pixelmonk
04-16-2003, 09:19 AM
My point is that there is plenty still to learn. And who cares if maya 5.0 is out. Its development cycle is different from LW. Compare the update we got with 7.0->7.5 compared to Maya 4.0->4.5. Even maya users laughed at the update.

Hrmm I didn't laugh at the update. I look forward to 5.0 too, which some claim is laughable as well. I guess it depends on knowledge and use of the tools within the program.

archiea
04-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Nemac4,

I found the fac t that the camera is attached to his crotch in the animation disturbing!!!! :confused:

Rory,

I hope you and your wife/sister make up.. or make out, whatever it is that "you people" do!!! ;D
:D