PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Trouble with Lighting

BadMac
12-21-2004, 02:40 AM
Hi Guys :)

I am a newbie at Lightwave, i am trying out version of 5.6 as i have a simple scene i need to render into an avi. I am having trouble trying to only illuminate a sign on top of a building with a spotlight. When i render the image the buildings behind the sign are also illuminated and lots of huge shadows as well. Is there a way to set max distance for a spotlight as the manuals don't mention light distance only type of lights.

art
12-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Maybe it would be easier to exclude the light from affecting all objects except the sign.

goatshrink
12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm trying to remember if Version 5.6 had Exclude objects in the light properties. I don't think it did . I think a better way of getting a more natural lighing is to use falloff. In the light properties click on intensity falloff. You have to remember to give it a distance. Position the light that you want to illuminate the sign and look at the falloff ring around the light. Remember that the intensity is 100% at the center of the ring and 0 at the edge. You can also increase the intensity to anything you want , 100% is not the maximum. Sometimes I'll give the light a odd color like lime green then increase the intensity to 500% or so. That way I can see exactly what the light is illuminating, then you can back off the color and intensity untill you get something you like.
Lastly don't be afraid of using this with ton's of lights. I very rarely have only a few lights in a scene. WIth falloff you can light all the areas of the scene you want without adversly affecting other objects in the scene. If version 5.6 does have the option of exclude objects you can use this as well.

Good luck

art
12-21-2004, 03:43 PM
You are probably right, goatshrink. I missed the 5.6 part in his question. I never used 5.6 so I take your word for it that exclude object option is not there.

spec24
12-22-2004, 08:43 AM
5.6 does not have an exclude option.

dablan
12-25-2004, 02:06 AM
Wow, flashback!
Yeah, I don't think exclude will be in there - but as goats mentioned, set a falloff. I use falloffs all the time for ultimate control.

goatshrink
12-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Come to think of it Dan, I think I originally got the tip from you!

Your tips and techniques have always come in handy. I was just trying to pass it on.
Thanks again

Tod :)

Randog
12-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Render the sign by itself.

The the rest without the sign.

Make sure to render with and alpha(s).

Bring in to comp programs (such as after effects).

Comp together and render out the avi.

If you require shadows and such to be cast in the scene you may need to make some standin geometry and make a shadow pass.

-R

dablan
12-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Good idea randog.

Goat - thanks!!

Randog
12-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Good idea randog.

Goat - thanks!!

Merry Christams Dan - you old goat!

;)