PDA

View Full Version : Getting RT in FCP from LW-produced sequences?

Johnny
12-20-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm fussing with render settings to see how I can get RT render performance in FCP out of my LW-rendered animation clips. As it is now, I can't even drag a clip into the timeline in FCP and play it without rendering first!

my frame size is 720 x 480, and I've messed with pixel ratios, and fields, and nothing has fixed the situation. my FCP settings are for NTSC, 720 x 480, RGB.

Any advice from those who've been there?

thanks,

J

Jack Tinsley
12-20-2004, 01:43 PM
I would guess that you aren't compressing in the render. If you using animation codec then it will have to be rendered. If your FCP project is DV and the media isn't you will have to render. My suggestion is to not compress to DV in LW, use animation codec and compress in FCP where needed. At least you starting with a good image and compressing when you have to. If you are doing compositing in AE it's better to start with animation codec or non compressed 8 to 10 bit video again you will render in FCP to DV when you have to.

Good Luck

Johnny
12-20-2004, 05:34 PM
My suggestion is to not compress to DV in LW, use animation codec and compress in FCP where needed. At least you starting with a good image and compressing when you have to.

OK, Jack..I think I know what you're talking about here, but I'm having trouble implementing that...I select "Save Animation" in Render Options, and pick "None" under those options, yet end up with a stack of files that no amount of fiddling with QT Pro produces a file that doesn't require rendering in FCP.

Am I looking at this completely wrong? going to the wrong place to save out uncompressed animation?

thank you!

J

sjon
12-22-2004, 12:09 AM
When you say "stack of files," are you saving an image sequence and combining the images in QT Pro and then trying to export using the DV/DVPRO codec? If so, you might consider that you are doing your compression too early. You can save out of LW using the correct codec, but, like you, I always have to recompress in FCP. So, I just save out as a Quicktime .mov file using Animation millions+ (to keep the alpha channel) and recompress in FCP. The quality always seems a little better doing it this way.

BeeVee
12-22-2004, 01:57 AM
If you are creating an animation that will be taken into another program for further processing, never save as an animation. You should also never save as a lossy format like JPG, because a) all codecs compromise the quality of the final image (apart from perhaps Quicktime animation), and more importantly b) saving as an image sequence can be picked up where you left off, unlike most animation formats, so in the unlikely event of a crash, or a need to interrupt rendering, you won't need to start again from scratch.

B

Johnny
12-22-2004, 06:07 AM
If you are creating an animation that will be taken into another program for further processing, never save as an animation. You should also never save as a lossy format like JPG, because a) all codecs compromise the quality of the final image (apart from perhaps Quicktime animation), and more importantly b) saving as an image sequence can be picked up where you left off, unlike most animation formats, so in the unlikely event of a crash, or a need to interrupt rendering, you won't need to start again from scratch.

B

I render from LW as a stack of 24 bit Photoshop frames. I Import Sequence witih QT Pro and save that as a QT movie..don't use compression anywhere in that chain that I know of.

Saving as animation millions+ colors actually gives a smaller, less-quality sequence than does my method, and I still get the red render bar in FCP withi thos animation millions+ clips.

my quality is high once in FCP..something is causing FCP to have to render when it shouldn't...and that's what's puzzling.

thank you.

J

Pipsqueak
12-22-2004, 07:48 PM
The stack of Photoshop 32 bit images or the QT Animation Codec Lossless file that you render directly from Lightwave should be considered your source material. Assuming that your Final Cut Timeline settings are set up for a DV workflow, you'll need to create a compressed version of the source material that can be imported to the Final Cut Timeline without triggering "rendering" (really compression) in the Final Cut Timeline.

I'm not sure that you'll save any time in the process, because somewhere along the way you'll need to take your pristine, uncompressed source and create a highly compressed DV version. That can be internally within the Final Cut timeline or it can be externally with a program like Cleaner.

As several others have said in this thread, you don't want to render to a compressed codec directly out of Lightwave. That uncompressed source master is very important to maintaining quality as you add additional effects and processing to your Lightwave output.

Good luck.