PDA

View Full Version : Gimbal Lock headaches - HELP

jat
12-20-2004, 06:48 AM
I really, REALLY need some help with the whole gimbal lock problem. I have a copy of DESKTOP Images Character Animation setup with Brian Freisinger and he just goes through everything so easily but when I try to bring my bones into layout it just doesnít work the same. I can make a skeleton no problem but is there something Iím missing. Is there a default setting that he might of used, could he have been using a plug -in to take care of this problem in layout? My copy of LW 6.5 is running on OSX so that might be the problem right there Ė there is some flakiness with the app. Seriously, if anyone has any easy or easier solution to counter this problem then please and thanks. And if you can be specific that would help because I am still just learning this stuff. Tanks - Jat

:eek:

jat
12-20-2004, 07:33 AM
thanks again for any help....

Rory_L
12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Well if you have two bones, both occupying the same rotational point, with one parented to the other you can get them to share the deformation chores for that joint.

If all else fails you can use the world coordinate system can`t you?

R

LehrryD
12-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Hey jat:

Ok there is an easy solution and a hard solution to this problem, depending on what you are trying to do.

If it is simply avoiding gimbal lock, just change the coordinate system under items->motions->coord system. Personally I like using Local coordinates because the three handles naturally avoid gimbal lock.

Does that help?

Now there is another problem that I am running into and that is... under motion options there is a way to limit the heading, pitch, and bank controls. But these only limit the Heading, Pitch, and Bank in terms of the parent coordinate system. Is there any way to make these limits apply to the world or local coordinate systems?

Hope that helps,
LD

jat
12-29-2004, 07:24 PM
thanks to this guy

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/gandalf27/anim1.html

hope this helps it has helped me tons. I had to understand the relations between the bone handle and its setup in Layout.