PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt scene file.

Hollow Earth
12-20-2004, 04:18 AM
Yes I'm sure I should have progressively saved a copy, but please let me vent my frustration :mad:

JML
12-20-2004, 07:46 AM
edit the scene file with a text editor,
then delete carefully things that might create the problem..

Hollow Earth
12-20-2004, 08:05 AM
edit the scene file with a text editor,
then delete carefully things that might create the problem..

thats a good suggestion. i just ploughed on and rebuilt it

JML
12-20-2004, 11:19 AM
you don't have to rebuild it, I debugged one of my scene like that,
a while ago, an old scene was looking for a codec which was not there anymore and it would crash lightwave when loading the scene, I changed the codec with the text editor and it worked.

it's usefull to know how a scene file works, not only to debug but to quickly change parameters on a scene when you render on network for example.

if you never opened one, make a copy and understand it first. it's not that complicate.

Hollow Earth
12-20-2004, 12:16 PM
......all excited i dug the file out of the bin and opened in it in textedit......

.....blank page.....

.....looked at the filesize......

....Zerok

oh well :)

JML
12-21-2004, 10:56 AM
in that case, there is not much to do :)

(you can turn on auto sav on the hub for something like that doesn't happen again..)

Hollow Earth
12-21-2004, 11:35 AM
in that case, there is not much to do :)

i'll happily concede it wos my own stoopid fault :)

Hollow Earth
12-22-2004, 08:26 AM
its done it again, even though ive now been saving incrementally. this time its take AGES to sort out. somedays i just hate LW.

-

mac dp 2.5ghz, 6800ultra, 10.3.6, LW 8.0.1

eblu
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
turn off the hub.
do anything you can think of to reduce crashes.

LW saves files improperly, and as a consequence sometimes eats scene files if it crashes while saving.

what is LW doing wrong?

well, standard file saves go like this:
1. create a temporary file
2. save data to temp file
3. check temp file, to make sure it saved correctly
4. delete old file
5. move temp file to location and name of old file.

that way the app has a very low chance of erasing your data if it crashes.

LW:
1. remove all data from the file
2. save new data to file

if LW crashes after step 1 but before step 2 is complete... say bye to your hard earned work. LW 8 has been a major crash fest, with crashes due to: saving pref files (lw 8 is probably the most notorious pref corrupter out of the entire history of the product), the hub (a big pile of bugs that one), errors introduced BY THE APPLICATION into the scene files, and many irrational, un-reproducible quirks and bugs.

so, setting the auto save on in the hub? I wouldn't do it. it would only increase the frequency of crashes, and the chances of losing work. disable the hub, start with fresh pref files, curse like heck, and CALL or EMAIL TECH SUPPORT. Newtek doesn't officially know anything that we tell them from the forums.

And frankly, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fix to this serious pandemic of quality issues in LW. Newtek is at a "make it or break it" threshold, and I haven't seen any signs yet of them making it.