PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow error

kentr
04-11-2003, 10:44 PM
After installing LW 7.5 and getting the license code, LW runs fine. Modeler, however, reports an error "RNBO[31] = 0 notify technical support". I called tech support and the tech suggested I get and install the latest Sentinel drivers, which I did. Same problem.

Has anyone seen this problem?

Thanks . . .

Rick

Bytehawk
04-12-2003, 04:10 AM
parralel or USB dongle

if dongle = paralel then
a) dongle is fried
b) dongle malfunctions
they're a little sensitive, the small beasties (dongles live in a forrest near the LW headquarters)
the USB type is a little more robust

in any case try this : power off, unplug dongle, power on, remove all sentinel drivers, download latest drivers, reboot, install latest drivers, power off, install dongle, power on, try LW

kentr
04-12-2003, 10:23 PM
It's parallel . . . and LW works fine, just Modeler reports the error and crashes.

Bytehawk
04-13-2003, 03:45 AM
I have heard this before.

I recall modeler is much more fussy with the dongle than layout.

It could well be a fried dongle I'm afraid. Check on the rainbow site if they have a test program to test the dongle. If all fails, call Newtek tech support. They'll be able to help you out.

I hope everything get sorted soon for you.

kentr
04-13-2003, 09:40 PM
I've tried everything - including installing the program on a Win 98 machine. Same error. So, time for a new dongle, I think. I want the USB version anyway, so I'll have to get it sorted out this week.

Thanks to everyone who responded . . . I'll post when I get things up and running.

Rick

wtdedula
04-14-2003, 06:47 AM
Kentr;
Think again about wanting a USB Dongle. I had to send mine back twice in 2 months and get replacements. Just talked to tech. support on Friday and was all ready to opt. for a Parallel Dongle but now I am re-thinking that due to your message.

I am getting quite paranoid that either my motherboard is causing my USB dongles to fail, or the static buildup in the vicinity of my computer which is resting on a carpet in my home.

I don't think that either Parallel or USB are reliable or atleast that was my personal experience. I have never had another USB device fail. If they fail this easily, Newtek should seriously consider seeking out another dongle manufacturer who manufactures a more robust dongle that is protected from static and other voltages that are within specs. for the USB port.

I can also tell you that Newtek's dongle is difficult to install and it may take 5 or 6 tries of installing lightwave and the sentinel drivers to get things to work. Others in this Forum have reported similar experiences.

It is a shame that a few people (Well maybe a bit more than a few) have to pirate software to make a device such as a dongle even necessary.

By the way, I thought I'd have to send #3 back last Friday but finally by some stroke of luck, was able to get it to work.

Tim

Russel
04-14-2003, 04:40 PM
I'm experiencing a simmilar problem with my USB dongle for winXP.
...have the latest drivers but to no avail.
There was another post (that I can't seem to find currently) that indicated a particular "USB Pro dongle driver" would solve the problem - but didn't give the 'magical link' as to where it can be found on the web. :(

...Am waiting on a reply from Newtek as I speak.

Sorry to barge in on this post, just bummed about the dongle too... it would be nice if Newtek went with a software lock instead... but I guess, now that I think about it, that would eliminate the ability to easily (supposedly) swap between mac and pc and so forth! arrgh.

protean
10-28-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm experiencing a simmilar problem with my USB dongle for winXP.
...have the latest drivers but to no avail.
There was another post (that I can't seem to find currently) that indicated a particular "USB Pro dongle driver" would solve the problem - but didn't give the 'magical link' as to where it can be found on the web. :(

try this

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/Drivers.asp

select whichever one suits you

P

mattclary
10-29-2004, 05:14 AM
I've owned LightWave for a little over 4 years I think...? And have had to replace my parallell dongle once. Hopefully it was a fluke and won't fry on me every couple of years. It's more of an annoyance than a deterent to piracy, in my opinion.

w_will
11-01-2004, 05:26 PM
This may sound crazy, but if your using a USB hub try plugging the dongle directly to the computer. I have heard horror stories about the dongle and hubs. I experienced a similar problem on a toshiba laptop when I first swapped my dongle for the USB, but updated drives fixed my problem. If I had a choice I would opt for the USB if I were you.