PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Rendering Flaw?

twister47
12-19-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm on Lightwave 7.5 and I've been working on an animation where at one point, while hidden behind a cloud of hypervoxels the landscape goes from green to snowy.

So rather then putting in two identical landscapes with different textures and dissolve times, I just put textures on both with an envelope on the opacity and at the right time flipped one texture to zero and the other to 100%

My render times shot up by a HUUGe amount and I spent a long time playing with settings trying to bring it down when I decided to see what happened if I removed the flipping textures. With just one texture on, it rendered out almost 5 times faster.

You would think when a texture had a value of 0% for the opacity, lightwave wouldnt include it in calcuations of textures, but I guess it does?

Silkrooster
12-19-2004, 07:34 PM
hmmm. I guess I will have to test that out. I do know that it makes a difference if your doing an object desolve or adjusting the transparency. Because if you set an object to 100% transparent, lightwave still "sees" the object and renders shadows of that object. Assuming you have render shadows turned on for that object.
Silk