PDA

View Full Version : Does the Airbrush tool Work?

spec24
12-18-2004, 08:56 PM
I created a Vertex Color Map and went to start using the airbrush tool but nothing happens. The airbrush tool is set to paint on my vertex map. Any suggestions??

spec24
12-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Okay - now suddenly it works. But it doesn't paint any color on my model, it just makes the color darker - no matter what color I have selected.

Painting the vericies white just reverts it back to the base color. All I have are darker shades of the base color, nothing else.

Dodgy
12-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Vertex colour is applied in a multiplicative manner, that is the colour you paint, will be multiplied by the base colour to give the result. So:

base colour x white (1,1,1)= base colour
basecolour x 50% grey (0.5,0.5,0.5) = .5 base colour= half bright
basecolour x black(0,0,0)= 0 base colour=black

There are also two types of colour maps, those with an alpha, and those without.

Those with alpha will paint more like you expect, tinting the surface the painted colour.

Those without, if you're painting with the airbrush, as soon as they touch a vertex, they set it to have 0 value (therefore it's painted black) Continue to paint over that vertex and you'll see it grow to the colour you want. If you're using a colour map without alpha, paint all of your vertices white first, then start painting in your colour, as this will give results more like you expect.

blabberlicious
12-19-2004, 10:05 AM
It also doesn't help that the Circular Paintbrush Radius Guide is broken (missing) since 8.1 (on my mac anyway).

Without a visual guide to show you the since of the brush radius, and no means of sizing it quickly with a RMB, you are left with a pretty useless tool.

Sure it works, but it's like trying to paint with boxing gloves on. You have to keep glancing at the Numerical panel to see the size of the brush, and undoing when your brush paints too big or small...

..which is the point of the radial guide.

For me, this guide is also broken for the falloff drag tools, too.

I have every confidence they'll have fixed it, as I posted the bug month & months ago....

:-)

PC users, pls note that this is a mac issue.

vbk!!!
12-20-2004, 04:39 AM
in symetry mode : airbrush work only in one side.
make sure your vertex map is put in your surface parameters.

Dodgy
12-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Works in symmetry mode for me.... (PC)

vbk!!!
12-20-2004, 06:22 AM
it's works only in positive coordinate for me ( when i have a symetric mesh )

spec24
12-20-2004, 07:09 AM
couldn't get it to color the verticies no matter what I did. I have used it in v7.0 and v7.5 with no problems - but now, no matter what options I choose, it only darkens or lightens. Same with the vertex paint plugin. :(

WilliamVaughan
12-20-2004, 12:54 PM
see if this helps:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/colormap/index.html