PDA

View Full Version : I lost my path

CBZ
12-18-2004, 01:45 PM
:(

I don't know how to fix the following problem with my LW.

For example: I download a car from Internet, I put that LWO into my objects folder, say you, T:\Objects\cars-lw. So my path to that car will be T:\Objects\cars-lw\newcar1.lwo. A similar structure I have for all my libraries: plants, trees, that is, T:\Objects\plants and T:\Objects\trees. The same for Skies, backgrounds, etcetera.

My project folder is W:\bamboo\lws\bamboo-vol01a.lws

My content directory is Z:\ where I put all my plugins, programs, configuration files and so on.

When I start loading my file, LW load the project files, that is, LW objects from the W:\bamboo\lws folder (site plan, walls, glass, mouldings, roof), then it loads from the T:\Objects folders trees from the T:\Objects\trees, and similar with the skies or people objects but when it tries to load the cars I got the dialog box: File not found, can't find "newcar1.lwo" Select an alternate file? Yes/cancel/no

What is confusing to me is that all other objects are found and they are in the same path link, that is, T:\Objects. LW starts to load trees and no problem, plants and no problem but when it tries to load my cars I got that "File not found" dialog box.

Any idea how to fix that "missed path"? or why is missing that path?

Also, sometimes I got a similar behaviour but what is missed is the path to a texture "from" the object, not the object. For example a tree is loaded but the leaves textures not, same tune "File not found".

What m'I doing wrong?

Of course I want to keep my folder's structure, I want to be able to have my libreries in the T:\Objects folder and keep my working folders in W:\ that is very important.

PD I try to "complete" manually the path editing the LWS file, and works! but once I save again, LW will forget the path... and again I will get the "File not found" dialog box :confused: :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LW save the path OK with my folder's structure, example:

LoadObjectLayer 1 T:Objects/plantas/matorral-flores-am.lwo
ShowObject 6 2
SchematicPosition 1.200000 -0.800000
ObjectMotion
NumChannels 9
Channel 0
{ Envelope
Key -1.1107235 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 1
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 2
{ Envelope
Key -62.409592 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 3
{ Envelope
Key 1.3770648 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 4
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 5
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 6
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 7
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 8
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LW didn't saved the full path, example:

LoadObjectLayer 1 miata-yellow.lwo
ShowObject 6 13
SchematicPosition 39.500000 -0.250000
ObjectMotion
NumChannels 9
Channel 0
{ Envelope
Key 48.070213 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 1
{ Envelope
Key -0.15368845 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 2
{ Envelope
Key 7.0739532 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 3
{ Envelope
Key 3.1415925 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 4
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 5
{ Envelope
Key 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 6
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 7
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}
Channel 8
{ Envelope
Key 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Behaviors 1 1
}

ShadowOptions 7

Rory_L
12-18-2004, 04:56 PM
This stuff confused me at first too! What you need to do is have all your scene's content, (objects, scenes, textures, images, motion files) in folders within the same content folder. You set this content folder in Layout/ General Options/ Content Directory.

It's a good idea to store your objects by project, not by type.The object folder path should look like,

My_Project/Project_SubFolder/Objects/object.lwo

In your case, the project name might be StreetScene and the sub folder would be for all the data pertaining to the car only.

This system means that you must duplicate all object and textures and suchlike that appear in multiple projects, but does spare you that annoying 'File not found' message!

Cheers,
R

CBZ
12-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks! but I'm still confused :(

I know your tip is the way to structure my files but It will be quite difficult to me, anyway

look at this information:

http://www.dreamimg.com/docs/tree.jpg

As you can see, the project loads ok (W:Lakeside/lwo/[objects])
then the sky loads ok, (T:Objects/cielo/[object])
and T:Objects/arb/palmeras/[object] it's also loading

but just when it came to the car's folder comes out "File not found"

why is that?

Rory_L
12-20-2004, 09:18 PM
No lo se! I don`t know! There`s an expression, `If you can`t beat them, join them!` and it may be relevant now to you. If you can`t make the car behave, move it to the W directory!

Good luck! Y feliz cumpleanos!

R

faulknermano
12-20-2004, 10:45 PM
When I start loading my file, LW load the project files, that is, LW objects from the W:\bamboo\lws folder (site plan, walls, glass, mouldings, roof), then it loads from the T:\Objects folders trees from the T:\Objects\trees, and similar with the skies or people objects but when it tries to load the cars I got the dialog box: File not found, can't find "newcar1.lwo" Select an alternate file? Yes/cancel/no

through the years the best kind of file management structure for lw is lw's way.

i have a directoy: "D:/LW_CONTENT"

and inside that directory are my project directories:

"D:/LW_CONTENT/PROJ_A"
"D:/LW_CONTENT/PROJ_B"

each project has at least:

/scenes
/objects

inside objects, you can put more directories in it like:

/objects/cars/
/objects/houses/

inside /scenes, are my "project files" or, basically, my scene files.

this is the lw-way. you will have a harder time doing it any other way.

the reason for this is that lw looks at scenes, images, objects, etc, in a relative way. it is relative to your project directory (in lw, it's called "content directory").

if you have w:/bamboo/ as you project directory, then your arrangement should look like something this:

w:/bamboo/Scenes -> contains bamboo-vol01a.lws
w:/bamboo/Objects
- or -
w:/bamboo/Objects/Flowers/ -> contains your objects like matorral-flores-am.lwo
w:/bamboo/Objects/Cars/ -> contains miata-yellow.lwo

CBZ
12-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Ok.

I will try LW way. :rolleyes:

Thankyou very much for your input Rory_L (feliz cumpleaños también ;) ) and faulknermano.