PDA

View Full Version : from pictures to 3-d models?

ArcticWolfJD
12-18-2004, 01:36 PM
I heard that there was a way to get Lightwave to make a 3-d model of an object based on actual pictures of the object taken from different angles and put into the program. Sounds pretty incredible to me, but amazing if it's true. So is it possible? Where could I get more info.?

JamesCurtis
12-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Yes, it is true and it does work. However, the work can be rather tedious.

There are some external programs that use several views of the object to extrapolate a 3D object. These work with varying degrees of success.

As for more info on the first technique? You need to make sure the images are of Front, Top, and Side views. They must be scaled to match each other properly to work as the pictures are your guide to point placement for polygon mesh creation. you essentially connect the points based on the images. Just think of your object as occupying space within a box.

Hope this helps some.

ArcticWolfJD
12-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks. It does. But I'm going to need a bit more.... So that's awesome to know. What kind of "external programs" are you talking about and where could I find them or more info on them? I get the three sides thing and how it would have to match up, but well ... maybe I'd just have to take a look at one of those programs and/or see it done to know how to do it. Are there any tutorials or anything for that?

peter66
12-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Realviz Image Modeler 4.0 comes free with LW8 until the end of this month http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/partners/realviz/index.php

Image Modeler is designed for and is one of the best in the business for "turning multiple photos into 3d objects".

Basically, you take a photo of something like a building from 2 or 3 (or more) different angles and then you give the program a few clues so to do this, you'd click on a corner of the building, "marker 1" appears there, then go to your next photo and click on the corresponding corner "marker 1" and so on. After you've given it enough clues (surprisingly few) it'll say "config complete" (or something).

You're right about it being quite amazing software, I suppose it must be some sort of "parallax algorithms" in there to suss out what's going on.

Another handy thing is that once you've got your objects in there you can also map textures onto them straight from the photos.

Pete

edit: other softwares that do similar things are "PhotoModeler 5.0" and "PFBarn1.0"