PDA

View Full Version : Video Clips/Premiere editing

hrgiger
04-11-2003, 08:19 PM
I've been rendering out some video clips to assemble later in Adobe Premiere. I've been rendering them out with the Divx Format because ultimately, that's the format I want the final animation to be in. My question is, if I render out the small clips to divx and then render them again in Premiere as a whole animation in divx, have I just reduced the quality by 2? Should I render out the clips to uncompressed frames in Lightwave and then render to divx in Premiere? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Danner
04-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Idealy you shoud work with an uncompresse format till your are ready to the last compression, you can render out an uncompressed avi out of lightwave space permitting.

Lewis
04-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi !

rendering DivX and again editing on divX is not good idea and quality is definately degraded. Question is what porpose of that anim will be :). If that quality is good for you then its' ok but i prefer uncompressed or better TGA/BMP/TIFF image output (jpeg if you really have low free space on HDD). You can import directory in premiere so you will have all frames loaded at once and you can export from premiere to Divx with various settings. When you set DivX compression you can't make it better if isn't too good but with uncompressed you always can compress more if you want smaller file size.

just my 2 euro cents ;).

Extent
04-12-2003, 07:41 PM
unless you're using really low compression settings on your divix I find that it's a very difficult codec to edit in in premiere. I was editing a piece with divix source in premiere a while back and none of my edits were frame accurate, I ended up recompressing all of my source footage and editing it again. If you can spare the space render out to uncompressed or even DV compressed video. Usually I even render my premiere movie to a single file first, then do a divx compress independant of premiere.

John Fornasar
04-12-2003, 09:58 PM
besides all the advantages listed above, two others come to mind...

if your computer craps out, or there's a power failure during render, with frames you just continue where you left off, you don't lose the whole render and time

and you can play with various codecs... generate a quick, small file for 'net use, and quality for your reel or client

ok, three... if you find a bad shadow, or mis-framed object in the middle of your animation, again, you just have to repair and render the errant frames.