PDA

View Full Version : Area light "divider" - making it not render??

Johnny
12-17-2004, 01:12 PM
I have a scene lighted pretty nicely with area lights, but at some camera angles, you can see the "divider' between sides of the light. I can move the light, increase the brightness and range, but not the same..

is there some way I can have that light there but not see this terminator?

thanks!

J

JML
12-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't think you can remove those 'divider'...you just need to place the lights carefully..
this "divider" is normal, and it is good, if for example you put the area light parallel and very close to the ground, it will create a nice gradient against the wall near the bottom...hard to explain..

at work I usually light my scene with area lights very close to the ceiling and floor so I have those dark gradient near the intersection between the walls and the ceiling/floor.
I saw some people using them near the window to simulate light coming in too
in those example, the divider is really useful and adds a lot.. but it depends what kind of scene you are doing I guess..

Matt
12-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Area lights don't emit lights along the edges (as linear linear lights don't emit out of the ends) you need to fill these areas with either point of spot lights, try adding some spots and experiment with turning off diffuse or specular as well as shadows to give just enough light to fill in where the area lights aren't affecting your scene.