PDA

View Full Version : So 8.2 timeline....

Lottmedia
12-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Not to incur the wrath of all involved, I know there is an extensive thread deoted to the subject but it dosen't seem to address: Do we actually have a timeline for the release? That's really all I wanna know and can't seem to find if anyone knows. I don't even want to get into features or requests (there's enough of that already) just a timefrme would be nice. A week, a month. After the excrucuating wait for 8.0 I'm a little hesitant to get excited until I know somethin more concrete.

J-Rod

lasvideo
12-17-2004, 10:37 AM
No........

Cman
12-17-2004, 10:53 AM
I was told they might have a new LW purchase incentive program in January. If it happens maybe the release will be timed to that...

Chris S. (Fez)
12-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Peter posted his preview on November 17 and said "The update is still a few weeks away"...so who knows?

Doran
12-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Do we actually have a timeline for the release? That's really all I wanna know and can't seem to find if anyone knows. .... just a timefrme would be nice. A week, a month.

J-Rod

These kinds of queries and speculation are probably the reason we don't get more advanced notifications like the one we got this time. I would much rather the programmers take their time and get it right instead of than feeling rushed into releasing a less solid upgrade because of some officially announced timetable.

What happens if the official word comes down and it's Janumonday the 123rd.. Then we get to that day and they still have a few problem with some of the features; do they release, trusting that they will fix these bugs in a quicky upgrade after the announced date... or do they delay the release? Either way they have to suffer the ridicules comments and ridicule from the disappointed.

Even I occasionally look to see if it has been released.. but most of the time I forget the announcement and try to pretend there will never be any other upgrade to Lightwave. Pinning hopes and dreams on speculation for a future release will drive a person crazy.

Lottmedia
12-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Wow, cheerie, hu?

hrgiger
12-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Well, the announcement almost made it sound like Newtek was giving us a christams present. I probably would wait until after Christams before I asked about the release. I'm sure they are trying ti release it as soon as possible but as always, it's not exactly easy to give a precise day or timeline. I got the impression that it was finished but they were in the process of finishing up the beta testing process. I'm sure it will be soon.

Silkrooster
12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
I was kind of under the impression that it would be done any time soon myself. But I would rather have them take a little more time and try to get the program as rock solid as they can. Who knows maybe even a few feature gifts thrown in for extra measure. :D
Silk

riki
12-17-2004, 07:22 PM
No point speculating, I've seen this drag on for months.

Architook
12-17-2004, 09:05 PM
We should all be pleased and happy with news of 8.2. Newtek is SHOWING us what it's working on, keeping us informed of progress. This is exactly what we all have wanted to know and there have been threads and threads and threads in the past about "what's Newtek doing now?"

What we DON'T have is a ship date. We'd all like to know it, but obviously if there was a firm date, Newtek would tell us. So let's all be happy to have news and clues about what's coming next.

lw3d23
12-17-2004, 09:15 PM
.... The update is still a few weeks away, itís currently in extensive beta testing, but with the holidays coming we thought you all might like to know that there is a gift coming from the new LightWave development team....

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager

Will we get this before Christmas, as a gift from newtek?

DigiLusionist
12-17-2004, 09:18 PM
*sitting here, satisfied enough to know that LightWave 8.2 even exists...*

Aw, who are you kidding? If someone tells me I have a new toy coming, do you really think I'm just going to sit quietly and grin like a fool?

Bring on 8.2! :D

blabberlicious
12-18-2004, 08:13 AM
it's not exactly easy to give a precise day or timeline....

No, but it's 'easy' to build up expectations - then get all precious and defensive because people have the temerity to wonder what's going on.

I can only imagine NT felt they had to inject some news excitement because the forum was dead on it's feet - with many users on an 'application holiday' - enjoying the exotic delight of farway rival apps.

If you promised your kids Christmas, then told them it was delayed because of issues with Elf back-end resourcing- you have blood on your hands.

And we are all kids on this forum, as you well know :-)

Doran
12-18-2004, 11:39 AM
*sitting here, satisfied enough to know that LightWave 8.2 even exists...*

Aw, who are you kidding? If someone tells me I have a new toy coming, do you really think I'm just going to sit quietly and grin like a fool?

Bring on 8.2! :D

Good point... they shouldn't have told us then right?

Lottmedia
12-18-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm not looking for a fight or anything (people seem to get kinda testy over this) I'm just looking for a reasonable expectation as I've yet to find anything. That's all.

J-Rod

blabberlicious
12-18-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm not looking for a fight or anything (people seem to get kinda testy over this) I'm just looking for a reasonable expectation as I've yet to find anything. That's all.

J-Rod
While I completely understand, all your thread will generate is:

1. Rapid Speculation
2. Fanboy tub-thumping
3. Doom laden "Heard-it-all-before" types with well stoked skepticism - (like me)

I think the 8.2 release is likely to get more scrutiny than Dealey Plaza and the Grassy Knoll.

If NT weren't so addicted to snake-oil marketing, they'd publish a what's been fixed list in interim, and at least give use THAT to chew on.

:-)

Wade
12-18-2004, 03:00 PM
If you don't settle down and go to sleep then Santa will not come! It must be quiet in the house!!! I said QUIET!!! If I hear your feet hit the floor one more time then I am going to keep the fire going, eat all the cookies, drink the milk, and Old St. Nick will never come down the chimney!

Now no one stir not even a mouse.

Wade
;)

Lottmedia
12-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Well, I was actually working on the assumption that someone from NT reads these posts and would give some information, I figure no one else knows but everyone like to talk without knowing anything. I really don't mean to get so crapy but this is exactly the thing I DIDN'T want to start, there are enough annoying threads of people guessing into the wind. I just wanted a nice succint date or guess-timation FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS.

I Apologise for aparently adding to the annoyance.
J-Rod

WizCraker
12-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the world of Newtek. They let the users know that something that is kind of like a hot fix is near but then they keep the users in the dark after the initial anouncement, and it turns out that it is not a hot fix but but something else entirely.

Yog
12-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Definition of "coming soon"

30-07-2003 - LW8 "coming soon" Q4 2003
20-12-2003 - (next official word) Slight delay, "coming soon", more info after Christmas.
12/03/2004 - We changed our minds and decided not to give any more scheduals.
29-06-2004 - LW8 Officially released.

When Newtek says "coming soon" it could be a 11 days, it could be 11 months :confused: , and it's rare to get additional information no matter how long the delay.

I used to be an impatient driver, but two years of driving the busiest road in my region twice a day has curred me of it. Much as the same way Newtek have curred me of impatiently waiting for software :D

mjanson
12-19-2004, 11:46 AM
next week...

Tiger
12-19-2004, 12:15 PM
It will come...soon :D

DigiLusionist
12-19-2004, 08:57 PM
The important thing is to retain a sense of humor. If someone is eager and wants to know when a new release is coming out (after being told one is coming out relatively soon), get off their back and let them ask. These threads only degenerate into negative ones because eager beavers are told to be quiet.

What the heck is that, anyway..?

I, too, want to know when it's coming out. I'm not bitching out NT. Just excited. Quit pissing on our parades, guys. You don't have to post a reply if you don't like the thread, right?

Wade
12-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey my quiet thingy was all in fun if by chance your talkeing to me. :D :) I laugh when I think of the 6.1 release and the time I spent makeing noise on the forums - wrote some poetry about it back then. Always in fun. I too would really like to know when it will be released and what we will have in our hand two or three years hence. :eek:

and a very Merry Christmas!

Wade

theo
12-19-2004, 09:54 PM
So what... to everybody and everything!! I am now operating on the presumption that I have never heard of 8.2.

As a matter of fact I probably should be operating on the presumption that I have never heard of Lightwave or Newtek and I am using generic 3D software that I found just laying in the limp hand of a drunk bum sprawled in a deserted alley- this way I have no hope of receiving upgrades, bug fixes or snake oil.

Ahhh sweet relief.....now back to my quite gray generic software........

DigiLusionist
12-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Wade> That wasn't directed at you. Though your post was jokingly saying, "Quiet," I was actually addressing a couple of other posts. Sorry for the confusion.

I just want to be able to drool for 8.2 in peace, without getting sarcastic posts. :cool:

blabberlicious
12-20-2004, 02:16 AM
[QUOTE=DigiLusionist] I just want to be able to drool for 8.2 in peace, without getting sarcastic posts. :cool:[/QUOTE

Time to change your handle , then Mr.Pontificator.

Cynicism, perhaps, fed largely by the efforts of a certain marketing department, I think.

It's usually the most entertaining part of this (pointless) pre-release activity, and after the last release, we've all had time to hone those particular skills.

So let us have our fun!

Joy to the world!

Chuck
12-20-2004, 08:24 AM
That's enough for this thread. The rules of the board are for civil discussion, and those of you who do not understand this - your accounts will be closed if you don't come to an understanding very quickly.