PDA

View Full Version : LOD object replacement

Alex Attwater
12-16-2004, 12:06 PM
hey guys, i was wondering if someone could point me to a tutorial explaining object replacement....i have this alley way scene where i want to use bricks up close and and simpler image maps far away but can't find a current tutorial or one for a beginner .....it will be my first time trying to do any level of detail replacement and last night when i tried to bring my brick buildings into layout i couldn't even get several loaded.......thanks ahead of time.

Dodgy
12-16-2004, 04:51 PM
It's quite simple. Load one object, then in Object properties>Geometry>Object replacement, add the LOD object replacement plugin. You can then set your geometry and boundaries for replacement. When LW renders, it will choose the right object for that distance...

Alex Attwater
12-16-2004, 05:24 PM
dodgy let me ask of you this, an alley 11 buildings six polys a piece and i had set up simple camera for movement layout, i had planned on introducing my low poly brick covered buildings as hi res close quarter stand ins but at about 25-40,000 polys a piece layout boots me . p4 2,8 2G , with that said if i just put in the hi res in one at a time that with replace objects goin i can just toss the camera in the air thus only using the low resolution models for set up, and if by now haven't asked enough of your opinion , if i have a 40 foot building side covered with 20,000+ polys that two 40'rs wouln't bump me. and by the way thank you for the reply sir.